Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When my iPhone 4 is in landscape mode is it possible to navigate the Music from song to song?

I like to listen to music on my iPhone in "shuffle" mode during the day at work. I like the look of it in landscape mode but I can't fast forward through songs if I want to.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 2:17 PM

10 replies

Oct 22, 2012 8:44 PM in response to randers4

Can anyone recommend a music playing app that does have the position scrubber and skip buttons in landscape mode? Surprisingly, it hasn't been easy to find one. I really didn't think that was asking for too much, was it?

I just bought an iphone car mount and I want to keep it in the horizontal (landscape) position. But the iphone's built-in Music app doesn't have the position scrubber or skip buttons in landscape mode. Again, any suggestions for an alternate music app that does this?

Jan 13, 2013 5:50 PM in response to RunMonkeyMama

I couldn't believe I was searching so long for such an app but I eventually found two: CarMusic and GestureMusic (I use the CarMusic app more often). Both of these apps have the position scrubber in landscape view. In addition, with these apps you control the music with "gestures", so to skip a song, you swipe your finger across the screen (can be done for both forward skip or backward skip, just swipe the other way). And to pause the song you simply tap the screen anywhere (tap again to resume). This definitely makes driving and listening more safe.

In the small chance that Apple actually reads these for customer feedback, I'd recommend their own Music app have such functionality. If that's too much to ask for, then at least display a regular player in landscape view. Right now the default iPhone Music app shows "Cover Flow" in landscape view which is neat and all, but there should be an option to switch it to view a regular player as well so we can skip forward or back, etc. I've read forums as far back as 6 years ago about people requesting the same thing, but nothing done about it yet.

Sep 19, 2013 3:23 AM in response to InquisitiveOne

I totally agree with you. iOS 7 has the same failure in the music player app when viewed in landscape mode. All I want is the "now-playing" screen with the scrubber, volume slider; and forward, back, play and pause buttons -- and ideally a way to view playlists; just like the vertical display but rearranged for horizontal viewing. I use the Tomtom app when driving, and when I want to do something more complicated than just skipping to the next track (looking for a track within the currently playing playlist, for instance), it's a pain in the neck, as the iPhone is held in the horizontal position; and the wall-of-albums view is useless to me.

Oct 22, 2013 12:54 PM in response to AntonLargiader

There seems to be a workaround. When playing a song and in landscape mode and you see the wall of album art, simply tap on one of the albums (any of them). You'll see the album art for the album you tapped and beneath that there'll be a play, skip back, and skip forward buttons. Those will work for the existing song playing. It'll seem weird because those buttons may appear beneath the album art for a different song, but they'll work with the song that is playing. Those buttons work for audiobooks too.

Oct 22, 2013 12:53 PM in response to InquisitiveOne

There's actually a better way I just discovered. When in landscape mode and you see that wall of album art, simply put your finger to the bottom of the screen and wipe upwards. You'll then see controls: a position scrubber, skip back, pause, skip forward, as well as some other features. Looks like they DID listen after all these years.

Now, controlling the music with gestures would be nice in the default app...

Oct 22, 2013 3:28 PM in response to InquisitiveOne

Having those controls under the art of a different album is really counterintuitive, but you're right, they do apply to the current album instead (although there's no label indicating that). But it's just play/pause/skip.

And yes you can double-swipe upward (once to show the control center tab, and again to pull the tab up) and get the controls via control center, but you still can't go back to the artist, different album, etc. The words naming the artist and album are actually a link, but all they do is dismiss the control center and return you to the wall... they don't take you to that ablum or artist, they don't even take you to that album on the wall.

I think the wall of albums is far less useful than having actual controls, and it's not intuitive at all to have totally different (and crippled) functionality in landscape mode.

Apr 28, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Jose Ramirez1

I'd like to throw in my two cents, that the behavior in the music app in landscape mode is a problem, especially since the phone has to be in landscape mode (or upside down) to have a charging cable plugged into it.

I don't understand the purpose for the current behavior in landscape mode. At the very least there should be a setting to turn it off. When charging, I end up putting the phone on a stand, upside down, so the music controls are still available.

When my iPhone 4 is in landscape mode is it possible to navigate the Music from song to song?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.