Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes cleanup software Rinse vs TuneUp vs ?

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good iTunes music cleanup tool for my large (and legit) library. I've read lots of reviews about Rinse and TuneUp, but they both seem buggy. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2011 2.3Ghz -8GB RAM -RAID - iPad2

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 5:45 PM

4 replies

Feb 16, 2012 8:50 PM in response to mlondon

It depends upon what you want to clean up. Frankly I am leery of anything "cleaning up" my collection. If there's a dead link I want to know about it and decide on how to handle it myself since I may be able to re-link the file. I don't want dead links just removed without my knowng about it. Nor do I want something handling what it thinks are duplicaes. I have some tracks 3 times, but they are not duplicates since some are studio versions, or unplugged vs. electric.

I would check the Dougscripts web site. Most of what is on there is free and will go a long way to automating some tasks.

Mar 11, 2012 5:41 PM in response to mlondon

Hi,

I havent used Rinse, but I bought a lifetime subscription to TuneUp. Before you decide which to buy, you may want to go and have a look at this thread on the Tune Up forums,

http://support.tuneupmedia.com/entries/20049278

Basically, the company changed the entitlements of a lifetime subscription in a way that has angered many of the people who bought it, way after they bought it.

I still use it, but I would not really reccommend it for this reason. As to being buggy, Tune UP used to be terrible, but its performance has improved.

Dec 30, 2012 3:50 PM in response to mlondon

I just installed TuneUp and Rinse.

I have a problem with albums having 2 and 3 copies of each track. It's freaking ridiculous that iTunes duplicates files.

TuneUp can only find duplicates based on Artists and Title. If you have an artist with a greatest hits album it shows the songs in the greatest hits albums as duplicates. However, they are not duplicates.

Rinse is able to find duplicates based on Artists, Title and album. That way you only delete duplicates within a specific album and not across your library.

I demanded a refund from TuneUp; they are incompetent programing crap. Plus, you have a bunch of pop ups trying to sell you concepts and other crap.

iTunes cleanup software Rinse vs TuneUp vs ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.