Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the default path assigned by Lion?

Hi Everyone!

Out-of-the-box, in Finder, the Favorites sidebar, the path for Pictures is: Macintosh HD>Users>vbbuilt>Pictures.

Note: vbbuilt is my user name

I just bought a new external hard drive and have moved all picture files to that external drive, including the iPhoto Library.

How can I change that path to: External Hard Drive>Pictures ?

In other words, when I click on Pictures in the Finder Favorites sidebar, I want to be sent to that Pictures folder on the EHD.

Thanks! Vince.

iMac-24, Macbook Pro, 13 inch, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 1:46 AM

19 replies

Feb 17, 2012 1:53 AM in response to vbbuilt

With the Hard Drive connected you can drag the 'new' Pictures folder to the sidebar and also drag off the sidebar the old alias that points to your home folder.

I was wrong about dragging the old icon off the sidebar. You will have to open Finder Preferences, select Sidebar and uncheck Pictures.

Message was edited by: PAHU

Feb 21, 2012 4:33 AM in response to vbbuilt

I'm not sure why you need to delete the default Pictures folder. Just add the new path to the sidebar, remove the old sidebar alias, and ignore the Pictures folder in your home.

The "default path" is your home folder. There is no other default path for the individual folders within the Home folder.

You might try replacing the default Pictures folder with an alias (or symbolic link) to the new Pictures folder.

Feb 21, 2012 5:45 AM in response to Barney-15E

This all goes back to my original problem in this forum thread.

1. I moved ALL files to an external hard drive.

2. I WANT to retain Lion's icon image representing the Pictures, Music, and Movie Folders

3. I WANT to rename Lion's default path for those original Pictures, Music, and Movie folders so that they point to their new locations on the hard drive.

4. The default Pictures, Music, and Movie Folders cannot be replaced - I tried that. The OS-X does not allow deleting the existing folder. I can place a new folder in the Favorites in the Sidebar, but the graphical representation of that folder, in the sidebar, cannot be changed. I tried that too and does not work. I can replace the image with a new graphic from the Get Info pane. But when I <option> drag n' drop that same folder into the Favorites on the Sidebar, that new substitute graphic does not show up. The default Icon for a folder is shown.

Any thoughts on how to get around all these problems?

Thanks, Vince.

Feb 21, 2012 5:40 PM in response to Barney-15E

I appreciate the response, but I don't want to move the entire home folder to the external drive. I've only moved the Pictures, Music, and Movie Folders to the external HD. However, when I click on any of the 3 icons in the Favorites, in the Sidebar, those 3 icons are still pointed to the original locations on the system hard drive.

I simply want to change the path, assigned to those 3 icons, so that when I click on one of those 3 icons, I'm sent to the external hard drive.

Vince.

Feb 21, 2012 8:58 PM in response to vbbuilt

There is no path to set.

You could replace those folders with symbolic links to your new folders of the same name. I don't know if they will retain the folder icons or not. The way those pictures seem to work is that if the folder is named for one of the default folders, and you are viewing the user Home folder of the logged in user, then the pictures are attached. If you view another user's home folder, those folders don't have the pictures. If you copy one of those folders outside your home folder, the pictures disappear.

Feb 22, 2012 4:29 PM in response to vbbuilt

There is nothing you desire that can be changed. There isn't anything to change. The path you seek doesn't exist. The home folder is the home folder.

A symbolic link is the unix version of an alias (mac OS )or a shortcut (windows). It occupies the position of somthing in the file system and points to another location. However, as the link will point to another location, I don't imagine you'll see the icons that you want. They are a part of the Home folder, nothing more, nothing less.

Many tutorials and explanations can be found googling.

Feb 22, 2012 4:53 PM in response to vbbuilt

In Finder Preferences uncheck Pictures. That will remove the Default entry in the sidebar.

Now click on your external drive and find the folder you stored you pictures in, hopefully it is named Pictures. Then Drag that folder to the sidebar and Drop it. A Shortcut/Alias will be created in the sidebar for that folder.

But you don't have to remane it if you do want to. A Alias/Shortcut will kstill be created with the name of that folder.

If it's not named pictures then you can change that before you drag and drop it. I named mine Pictures M HD 1.

I also left the original in the sidebar, not sure why as there is nothing in it.

The only problem with Renaming it is if your iPhoto Library is looking for that named folder as where all the images are stored.

Message was edited by: Shootist007

How do I change the default path assigned by Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.