Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Santa Rosa 13" 2.2 GHz, HDD upgrade

Hello,

I would like to change the hard drive of my MacBook Santa Rosa 13" 2.2 GHz.

I would like to go fo an SSD Drive. I checked and find out that the kingston have got a good price.

There is something that is quite annoying me though, they propose model with Serial ATA III and serial ATA II. I tought Serial ATA III was compatible with older technology. So my questions are:

Why do they propose two versions (especially when the SATA II version is more expensive) ?

Will a SATA III SSD will work in my old macbook ? any idea of the perf ?

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

Julien

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.3), MacBook Santa Rosa 13" 2.2GHz

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 4:37 AM

Before 2009, all SATA Macs only supported 1.5 Gbps SATA.

Starting in 2010 they started supporting higher speed SATA.

During 2009, Apple provided firmeware updates for 2009 models that didn't support higher speed SATA to support it. That said, many SATA drives offer a jumper to slow down the bus speed so older machines can support them. Until the unibody models, only the 17" MacBook Pro supported higher than 9.5mm drive heights..

If the drive in question has to be thinner, naturally it might cost more because of the shrinking of components..

Slower speed SATA drives are becoming less common, thus can become more expensive as supply is outweighed by demand.

Before you jump the SSD bandwagon, remember, there is no technology that can totally wipe the drive, unlike with platter drives. If your machine is sold in the future, be sure not to put any personally identifying data on it, once you switch to SSD, unless they erasing technology improves. .

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2012 4:37 AM in response to juliencoo

Before 2009, all SATA Macs only supported 1.5 Gbps SATA.

Starting in 2010 they started supporting higher speed SATA.

During 2009, Apple provided firmeware updates for 2009 models that didn't support higher speed SATA to support it. That said, many SATA drives offer a jumper to slow down the bus speed so older machines can support them. Until the unibody models, only the 17" MacBook Pro supported higher than 9.5mm drive heights..

If the drive in question has to be thinner, naturally it might cost more because of the shrinking of components..

Slower speed SATA drives are becoming less common, thus can become more expensive as supply is outweighed by demand.

Before you jump the SSD bandwagon, remember, there is no technology that can totally wipe the drive, unlike with platter drives. If your machine is sold in the future, be sure not to put any personally identifying data on it, once you switch to SSD, unless they erasing technology improves. .

Mac Book Santa Rosa 13" 2.2 GHz, HDD upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.