Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm a new mac user and have to do a powerpoint presentation, how?

I a new mac used and have to do a powerpoint presentation, how? Is there a compatable program ? I have the pages app but don't see a powerpoint type program. Is there powerpoint app?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 3:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 7:08 AM

jgmegiel wrote:

I a new mac used and have to do a powerpoint presentation, how? Is there a compatable program ?

Do you need to do a presentation, or do you need to do a PowerPoint presentation?

PowerPoint is presentation software by Microsoft, part of Microsoft Office. If you want to use it, you need to buy it from Microsoft.

Apple has its own presentation software, called Keynote, and it's quite well regarded. However, it is not bundled with Mac OS X, and you have to buy it from Apple, either by itself, or as part of a suite called iWork, which is a sort of counterpart to Microsoft Office.

If you need compatibility with PowerPoint, but can't afford to buy it, you can try OpenOffice or LibreOffice. Both are free; they are based on the same software and they are designed for a high degree of compatibility with MS Office. There is also NeoOffice, based on the same software as the other two; it is supposed to be more Mac-like than the others, but, although theoretically free, it requires a (relatively) small fee to download, which means it's not really free. None of the three is as well polished or well supported as MS Office or iWork, but they do work quite well.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2012 7:08 AM in response to jgmegiel

jgmegiel wrote:

I a new mac used and have to do a powerpoint presentation, how? Is there a compatable program ?

Do you need to do a presentation, or do you need to do a PowerPoint presentation?

PowerPoint is presentation software by Microsoft, part of Microsoft Office. If you want to use it, you need to buy it from Microsoft.

Apple has its own presentation software, called Keynote, and it's quite well regarded. However, it is not bundled with Mac OS X, and you have to buy it from Apple, either by itself, or as part of a suite called iWork, which is a sort of counterpart to Microsoft Office.

If you need compatibility with PowerPoint, but can't afford to buy it, you can try OpenOffice or LibreOffice. Both are free; they are based on the same software and they are designed for a high degree of compatibility with MS Office. There is also NeoOffice, based on the same software as the other two; it is supposed to be more Mac-like than the others, but, although theoretically free, it requires a (relatively) small fee to download, which means it's not really free. None of the three is as well polished or well supported as MS Office or iWork, but they do work quite well.

Feb 17, 2012 3:56 AM in response to jgmegiel

jgmegiel wrote:

If you really are looking for Powerpoint compatibility, then don't look any further than Powerpoint itself as part of Office for Mac.

The iWorks apps are nice, but compatibility with MS Office files and sharing files with the rest of the world is not one of their strong points.

May 22, 2016 9:55 AM in response to sander46

sander46 wrote:

I have microsoft power point for my macbook air but can't get the software to show a slide show tried it on TV on the macbook and also via a projector still no luck any ideas ?

Sheila Anderson

You should start a new thread instead of adding to a 4 year old thread. Provide details of your computer and presentation equipment.

I'm a new mac user and have to do a powerpoint presentation, how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.