Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to insert a black space at the beginning of a timeline

Hi guys,

Sorry for the stupid question....I only bought FCPX yesterday.

I have figured out how to drop an audio file into the timeline and add some title effects to the beginning. But now i want to add a black space at the beginning.

Is there an easy way to do this that I have simply missed - I have spent several hours trying to find a way to do it...

Thanks in advance for your help 🙂

Best regards,

Craig

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 8GB RAM, 2.2GHz I7, 1GB Radeon

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 5:18 AM

The quickest way is to click the P key which will turn the cursor into the Place Tool.

You can then select the clip in your timeline and drag it to the right as many seconds as you want black.

If you have a timeline full of clips you will have to select them all and drag the first.

When finished click the A key to return the cursor to its normal Select setting.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2012 5:18 AM in response to slobberingdog

The quickest way is to click the P key which will turn the cursor into the Place Tool.

You can then select the clip in your timeline and drag it to the right as many seconds as you want black.

If you have a timeline full of clips you will have to select them all and drag the first.

When finished click the A key to return the cursor to its normal Select setting.

Feb 17, 2012 7:44 AM in response to slobberingdog

slobberingdog wrote:

I have figured out how to drop an audio file into the timeline and add some title effects to the beginning. But now i want to add a black space at the beginning.

Is there an easy way to do this that I have simply missed - I have spent several hours trying to find a way to do it...

In my opinion, Tom deserved the 'Correct answer' because the question was not about altering the Gap Clip, just how to insert it - but Ian's way is great too.

Don't you just love FCP X when it's going well.

Andy

Feb 17, 2012 4:31 PM in response to andynick

Thanks everyone for the help - really appreciate it !!

I didn't know that there could only be one "correct" answer - so sorry to Tom if I have done this incorrectly. I was too excited that both answers worked for me that I didn't really concentrate hard enough on whose idea it was - I thought I could mark them both as correct.

Next time I will take more time for a considred response.

Thanks again everyone - you really helped me out.

Cheers,

Craig

How to insert a black space at the beginning of a timeline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.