Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best way to import illustrator files into motion

Whats the best way to import titles created in Illustrator into Motion5?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Motion 4

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 8:33 AM

As native .ai or .pdf. You can scale them to any size without loss of quality by turning off the Fixed Resolution checkbox for the media.

12 replies

Jan 7, 2014 9:04 AM in response to Mr. Goodwin

Exporting as PDFs and importing into Motion is great. However, if your illustration is a grouping of paths intended for animation (e.g. a face with lips and eyes that you'd like to animate independently) then the PDF method can become fairly tedious.

Unfortunately Motion doesn't support Adobe Illustrator's compound path type. Coming from Adobe AfterEffects I was fairly disappointed in this since much of what I did in AfterEffects required animation of my compound path vector art. However, compound paths can be simulated using masks in Motion fairly easily and although this method has limitations it works very well.

Using Adobe's API I've written a free plugin for Illustrator called "Motionize" which allows an Illustrator user to select a shape in their Illustrator file and export it to a single Motion shape file. It supports simple shapes, lines, groups and compound paths as well. There is a sample file included to get you started and I would appreciate any feedback via my site as to how it can be improved.

It currently supports only one selected item at a time and does not support gradients though I am working on these issues. I hope it helps! I use this too so it's something under constant development.

Jan 10, 2014 2:35 PM in response to Frumpy

Hi Frumpy, your Motionize plugin is fantastic!!! Being able to import an illustrator file and turn all the shapes into native shapes that can be edited and animated is what I miss most from using After Effects and seeing how common that question is in these forums I think your plugin is going to be very popular. Thank you so much you rock!

-Baldur

Feb 6, 2015 11:52 AM in response to Mr. Goodwin

Found this thread while searching best way to import from illustrator into motion (working in latest editions of both). My work around was just exporting the Illustrator project to Photoshop and importing that into motion. Motion will take Photoshop layers, important them all separately, and in the position and scale they were saved in. When it prompts you after importing just make sure to select separate layers instead of merged.

best way to import illustrator files into motion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.