Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1GHz emac upgraded to 10.5.8 - CD tray problem

I have a 1GHz emac upgraded to 10.5.8 in order to sync with current iTunes. Since the update, the CD tray no longer opens using the key on the keyboard. Neither will it eject using the symbol at the top of screen. It works if I hold down the mouse button on restart and discs in the tray work fine?

Any ideas?

eMac (ATI Graphics), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 8:45 AM

8 replies

Feb 18, 2012 4:43 AM in response to BDAqua

I haven't tried within iTunes but I suspect it will work that way. Certainly, dragging a CD to the trash causes the tray to open. The problem is opening the empty tray in the first place. The only way to do that is to hold down the mouse button during startup.

Looking through the archive it seems this problem was discussed a couple of years ago and at the time the only 'cure' was not to update an eMac past 10.5.6. I was rather hoping somebody had come up with a more satisfactory solution.

Feb 23, 2012 9:03 PM in response to BDAqua

Does the Drive show up in System Profiler? (I had this problem when the original ComboDrive failed in my 700MHz (now 900MHz) eMac first generation—In fact the ATA bus didnt even show up. But this is common I take it as my G5 Tower if there is no drive in the secondary bay, (second HDD slot) the SATA bus doesnt show up in System Profiler. So if the Drive is dead, the ATA bus may not even show.

1GHz emac upgraded to 10.5.8 - CD tray problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.