6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2012 12:38 PM by Ray_J
Ray_J Level 1 (0 points)

I have a lot of trash that I cannot delete, i.e., I am getting the message saying, "The operation cannot be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items". When I bring up the list of items the delete icon does not brighten thus cannot delete manually. Is there a fix?

iMac
  • Don Archibald Level 10 (101,340 points)

Pull the problem files out of the Trash and onto the desktop, then do a Get Info on each and change the privilege for your account to Read & Write.

Note - you will need to use your Admin password to unlock that part of the Get Info window. Click the lock icon in the lower right of the window to do that.

• Ray_J Level 1 (0 points)

Don,

I did as you suggested to two files and each already had "read and write" as options. I still cannot delete these files.

Ray

Try running Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility) and have it repair permissions on the drive. If you haven't done that for some time, and/or have made any software updates (especially an OS update) since the last time it was done, this may take a while to complete - it's not a bad idea when doing that to temorarily disable Sleep so it won't kick in.

Then restart and see if you can throw them away.

I ran the disk utility this morning. I did both verify and repair neither of which disclosed any problems.

You can try a force-empty of the Trash.

Put the files back into the Trash.

Then try what is suggested on this webpage -

Force Empty Trash In OSX

I had a couple of problem files, and had to use the Terminal command to get them to go away.

Note - it is best to copy and paste the Terminal command shown; syntax, including spaces, is critical.

Don,

I'm not sure which of the solutions worked but I finally have not files or folders in my trash.  Thank you for your help.

Ray