Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgetful MacBook

Having big problems with MacBook Pro (mid-2010 17", 2.53GHz Core i5) forgetting settings. Installed Lion and activated Chrome 2-step verification at around the same time and have been focussing a lot on Chrome since 2-step verification has disrupted syncing with my mobile also. Since turning off 2-step verification, now wondering if Lion is the culprit. The 'state' of my system seems permanently stuck - my Mac will not remember most changes I make to it. This includes (but is probably not restricted to):

When opening iTunes:

• Warned several plugins will not load in 64-bit mode and suggests starting in 32-bit mode (iTunes already set to start in 32-bit mode..). I click 'Do not show this message again' but message appears every time.
  • Asked every time for my password for Automatic downloads (a service I do not use).
  • Asked every time to sign in to check for downloads.
  • Asked to enter Account Name and Password to use Automatic Downloads.
  • (yes, that is 3 times I have to enter my password into iTunes after a restart!).

• iCal will not remember any passwords to access holidays I have entered on the Google CalDAV server.
    • iCal notifications come up over and over again (increasing in number as the days go by). Expired notifications will not stop appearing and I enable 'Turn off all alerts' option but, once rebooted, this option is disabled again.
    • Skype will not remember my logon details.
    • Changes made to the Dock. I delete uninstalled items and add new ones, when I restart, everything's back the way it was...
    • When making changes in Onyx on the Parameters panel I get the following AppleScript error: '(date & time) defaults[845:f07] Could not write domain /Users/myname/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist; exiting (1)' and it then hangs forcing you to close Onyx and restart.
    • Chrome will not remember extensions installed.
    • Chrome will not remember passwords.
    • Chrome will not remember logon status. Every time I open new tab it says I am not signed on (despite being signed on in the previous tab from which the new one was opened).
    • Chrome will not remember my location. I have moved recently from Malaysia to UK. In every new session it detects I am in UK and asks if I wish to search with Google.UK as opposed to Google.my. I answer 'yes' and the next time I reboot it's forgotten I've said default should be UK and asks again.
    • When I try saving anything in Mail I get the following message 'Writing your preferences to disk has failed. Your preferences may not have been saved. The permissions on ~/Library/Preferences may be wrong or your disk may be full.' I have 172GB free of my 500GB drive.

A weird thing happened recently. The ColorSync Utility popped up with a window called Profile First Aid. It was reporting problems so I tried to Verify and then Repair and got the following message:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended/CoatedFOGRA27.icc

Tag 'desc': Tag size is not correct.

Tag 'desc': Description tag has a bad Macintosh string.

The file is locked. Could not be fixed.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/Profiles/HD 709-A.icc

Header message digest (MD5) is missing.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/Profiles/SD 170M-A.icc

Header message digest (MD5) is missing.

I cannot find these files to unlock them - they do not seem to exist.

I also cannot get Finder to arrange results as instructed. Bars at the top I used to be able to click to arrange by date or name are missing and it seems to randomly ignore my instructions to 'Arrange By'

I am completely updated on everything as far as I am aware (OSX 10.7.3) and have verified and repaired disk permissions in Disk Utiliy. I cannot seem to move my system past this certain 'state' it seems to have permanently memorised….

Any help or suggestions from anyone GREATLY appreciated!

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 8:42 PM

Hi pmov,

Do Cmd+Shift+g at Finder and paste this path into "Go To The Folder":

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended/

then right click on the file named "CoatedFOGRA27.icc", then chose Get Info - temporarily change Sharing and Permission of the file for "everyone" to Read & Write. Do the same to the rest of the files in question and don't close the File Info floating menus yet; Do the same to the file in this path "/System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/Profiles" and this "/System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/Profiles"

Now launch ColorSync Utility (from Apps, Utilities), click on Profile First Aid, then chose Repair button at the lower right cornel of the menu…

Change Permissions of those files for "everyone" back to Read only, and you're done.

Regards

P. S. by: BookX I don't think Lion is the culprit, but some third party app that altered the Profiles (speculating)

1 reply
    Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2012 8:42 PM in response to pmov

Hi pmov,

Do Cmd+Shift+g at Finder and paste this path into "Go To The Folder":

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended/

then right click on the file named "CoatedFOGRA27.icc", then chose Get Info - temporarily change Sharing and Permission of the file for "everyone" to Read & Write. Do the same to the rest of the files in question and don't close the File Info floating menus yet; Do the same to the file in this path "/System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/Profiles" and this "/System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/Profiles"

Now launch ColorSync Utility (from Apps, Utilities), click on Profile First Aid, then chose Repair button at the lower right cornel of the menu…

Change Permissions of those files for "everyone" back to Read only, and you're done.

Regards

P. S. by: BookX I don't think Lion is the culprit, but some third party app that altered the Profiles (speculating)

Forgetful MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.