Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard input goes to previously-active app

Fairly often I'll change focus to a different app by pointing at it and tapping on the trackpad, or command-tabbing to it, the title bar will change to show the app I selected is now active, and I'll start typing...and the typing goes to the previously active app. Say, for example, I'm looking for something in a finder window, then command-tab to firefox, then command-w to close a tab. Instread of the tab closing the finder window closes. Yet, firefox is the active app. It's not a matter of slowness in the interface, either, I can be looking at firefox, see the title bar is active and the traffic lights in the upper left are lit, hit command-w, and something else on my screen disappears. Happens several times per day. I get characters intended for the search field of iTunes instead going to a cell in Excel all the time, or command-h hiding the wrong app, or control-tab doing who knows what rather than changing tabs in firefox, or....

Anyone else? Any idea why I'd have this trouble? This has been happening since about the time I got a magic trackpad in September 2010 (if I recall), but I can't imagine it's a problem with the trackpad since it happens when I change apps with command-tab, too.

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 9:32 AM

3 replies

Feb 17, 2012 2:52 PM in response to amyhughes

This has happened twice in the last half hour...

I copy some text from Excel, then press the (x) button in the search field of iTunes, which makes iTunes active and clears the search field, and command-v to past the text. The text goes into the same cell in Excel that it came from, so no harm but not only is iTunes not active anymore, my text didn't go where it was supposed to go. But the search field did clear and now says "Search Store", so I know iTunes got the (x) button press. I didn't imagine it.

ETA: make that three times.

Keyboard input goes to previously-active app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.