Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving all data from one user account to another?

I want to move everything from my current user account to another account. Both accounts are administrator accounts. As I am typing, I am copying over files from each of my home folders (cmd-A, cmd-C, go to new account's public folder, create folder of same name, cmd-V). Is there an easier way to do this? If not, am I doing this the right way? The Migration Assistant won't help because that is only for multiple Macs. I want to move my account to another account on the same Mac.

iMac 24, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 640 GB HD, 2.66 GHz C2Duo, 8 GB Ram

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 12:39 PM

6 replies

Jul 29, 2014 2:08 PM in response to baltwo

The internet becomes far less helpful when people in forums just link to an answer somewhere else, only to have the link go dead in the interim between the lazy post and some future researcher. Ideally, answers should be copy/pasted with a link to the source. Would make things so much easier.

----

Since Apple changed their link structure here on the Discussions site, the URL that baltwo posted was changed:

KirályApr 4, 2010 2:15 PM
Re: How to merge two user accounts?in response to ArisaemaDracontium

My favourite way to move files from Account A to Account B:
1) Log in to the A account.
2) Locate all the files you want to move. Move them to /Users/A/Public. Note: Don't move any System-created top-level folders, like Documents, Pictures, Music, Movies, etc. Just move their contents.
3) Log in to the B account.
4) Navigate with Finder to /Users/A/Public. Drag the files to the Desktop. This will make new copies of them that will have the correct permissions for User B.
5) Put the new copies of the files away in the appropriate places in B's home folder.
6) Delete the A user account if it is no longer needed.
Doing it this way will ensure that there are no permissions headaches with the files after they are moved.
Also, make sure that you BACK UP all of your data before starting.

Moving all data from one user account to another?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.