Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto crashes when I attempt to import pictures from my iPhone

When I try to import photos from my iPhone, iPhoto crashes. It just freezes. I'm not sure what to do.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 3:55 PM

10 replies

Feb 24, 2017 4:14 AM in response to Karnyo

Remember this crash is not a problem, but a symptom. Crashes can be caused by a lot of different things, and that's why we identify the version of the app and the OS as a base line for troubleshooting. What fixed your problem with your version of iPhoto and the OS may not be applicable to other versions. So, it is helpful to other users to identify these.

Feb 17, 2012 11:48 PM in response to sflomenb

Because there's something wrong with the main library?

If there are a lot of videos then it might well take tim, as videos are larger files.

Back to the original library:

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

Dec 30, 2013 12:37 PM in response to sflomenb

I have spent months with this problem and FINALLY found out the relatively simple culprit and solution after talking with very helpful apple support people by phone (free live phone support is apparently available after upgrading to Mavericks).

The problem wasn't with iphoto. The problem was not having enough RAM to allow iphoto to do its thing. When plugging in my phone to import photos, it pushed my RAM capacity past its limit, which caused the endless spinning wheel and the computer freezing. In particular, scrolling through iphone thumbnails seemed to trigger the crashing.

To determine if this applies to you, you can open the Activity Monitor utility and click Memory tab at the top and then look at Memory Used -- if the amount of Memory Used is anywhere close to Physical Memory (available), then RAM could be the problem.

My IMac is only a few years old and came with 4GB RAM standard, but that apparently isn't enough nowadays unless you close everything else. Skype and Itunes were opening automatically and running in the background, eating up lots of memory. Obviously you can try and manage RAM by stopping those from opening automatically, etc., but regardless, I'm going to purchase more RAM.

iPhoto crashes when I attempt to import pictures from my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.