14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2012 2:23 AM by MrMinnMac
pgoodwin Level 1 Level 1 (130 points)

My wife’s 2006 MBP Core Duo didn’t make the cut for Lion, but is going strong with Snow Leopard. In fact, about 6 months ago I put a new 2.5 inch 500 GB 7200 rpm drive in it that replaced the 80 GB 5400 rpm drive, plus added another 1/2 GB of RAM, and it’s running faster than it ever has. The battery is pretty much worn out, but she has an iPad so the MBP never moves.

My concern is what the effect of Apple doing away with MobileMe this summer is going to do. She syncs her iPhone, iPad and MBP mail and calendars thru MobileMe. I don’t know if she’s hosed after that or not.

What if anything can one do to sync Mail, Calendars etc after MobileMe goes away?

OS 10.6.8 is the end of the line for that machine and you need 10.7 for full iCloud functionality, which this MBP can't run. Is there any Apple literature that discusses these issues?

3.06 GHz iMac i3, 4 GB Ram, 500GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPad2, 60GB iPod Photo, Hp j6480
  • xtremecarbon Level 4 Level 4 (2,235 points)

Try using an email account that will store all of that information. A G-Mail account will sync Calendars, Notes, and E-Mail data.

It is weird (and sad) that MobileMe will shut down in favor of promoting the new machines/iOS devices. For Notes, Contacts, Calendars, and e-mail, that stuff is already backed up with Evernote (for notes, this is 3rd party software but well worth downloading), Address Book, iCal, and mail is saved to respective servers.

MobileMe will automatically convert to iCloud after June 2012, so brace yourself.

• pgoodwin Level 1 Level 1 (130 points)

Thanks

It is sad. She's got a pretty integrated system with the iPhone, iPad and MBP. It's a shame to have to start fragmenting into other systems that never put Apple users at the head of their development focus.

And I like Snow Leopard. I haven't switched over my 2010 iMac to Lion because I think 10.6.8 may be the best Mac OS ever designed. And I started with OS 5.x.....so long ago I forget-whatever was on the 1988 SE she bought new.

Can you explain briefly what Evernote is and does? Is it a Mac app and an iOS app?

I took a quick look at Evernote in the App Store. Looks pretty good. You say they have their own servers that do essentially what MobileMe does now? Do they have email servers too?

From what I know, Evernote is strictly notes. Evernote syncs ONLY notes, like MobileMe and are viewable on a computer.

What exactly is MobileMe being used for? If it's just Mail and Calendars, you don't need to worry about any of this. Calendars can be backed up locally through iCal (it's not wireless syncing but . . .). As far as other stuff goes, you can check data on iCloud.com. You will also be able to use Find my iPad and backup Documents/Data once MobileMe transgresses into iCloud (since those features are on MobileMe)

• Michael Allbritton Level 6 Level 6 (16,785 points)

xtremecarbon wrote:

MobileMe will automatically convert to iCloud after June 2012, so brace yourself.

I don't think this is accurate. I've read nothing to say that Apple will automatically convert all existing MobileMe accounts to iCloud accounts. Based on what I have read MobileMe will simply cease to be at the end of June. Do you have a link to what you are basing this statement on?

I haven seen much of anything lately, let alone any details on what options we'll have on the older machines when MobileMe is taken down. It's hard for me to believe that Spple will just leave us stranded with the only option being to go to another company (like moving to Gmail) to sync our phones, iPads and Macs. My wife and I both have a Mac, an iPhone and an iPad, and being able to sync them together wirelessly is slick and beneficial. The beauty of Apple's stuff has always been tight integrated and easy to use.

There are roughly 25 million Macs out there that are 4-6 years old that can't run OS 10.7. A good chunk of that 25 million would be looking real hard at Android or other smart phones and tablets that are cheaper. Yeah, things would be more fragmented but if you can't get the tight integration amongst your next gen iPhone or iPad because your 4 year old Mac can't run Apple's latest OS, then cheaper might be just as good. Hard for me to imagine Apple doesn't realize this.

Maybe I'll post a link to this discussion over in the MobileMe forum.

• Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9 (69,590 points)

You can migrate from MobileMe to iCloud at http://me.com/move even with Snow Leopard: when asked to confirm that your Mac is running Lion just lie and say 'yes'. Of course you won't be able to access iCloud directly from your Mac.

If you have MobileMe mail set up to collect mail from external POP accounts you should cancel this before migrating, or you may find it still working in iCloud (where it isn't supposed to) and with no way of stopping it.

This will be the situation with Snow Leopard when you have migrated:

• Your email, calendars, and 'Find my iPhone' will be migrated to iCloud. Contacts and Bookmarks cannot be migrated from a Snow Leopard Mac.
    • Your iDisk, together with website hosting and Gallery, will continue to work as before until next June.
    • Syncing of Dashboard Widgets, Dock Items and Keychains between Macs, and Mail Accounts, Mail Rules, System Preferences, Signatures & Smart Mailboxes between Macs & iOS devices, will cease altogether.
    • You will be able to access email and calendars on the iCloud website at http://icloud.com provided your browser is reasonably up-to-date.
    • You will not be able to sync contacts or bookmarks from a pre-Lion Mac.
    • You will be able to enter the server settings for email manually in the Mail application and access your email.
    • You will not be able to sync your calendars directly.
    • Some people have been able to set up calendar syncing by using the method detailed here - this is an unsupported hack and may not be reliable, and may stop working at some future point.  BusyCal is an iCal-like calendar application with extra facilities: it can sync with the iCloud Calendar while running on Leopard, Snow Leopard or Lion.
    • There appears to be no method of syncing contacts (though Address Book on a Mac can be synced with Google or Yahoo address books - I don't know how reliable this is).

Someone mentioned Evernote: this syncs memos only, between its own application on different machines or devices. It's independent of any of the Apple applications; it works fine on Snow Leopard.

This article examines some of the third-party alternatives to MobileMe:

http://rfwilmut.net/migrate

Thanks a lot. Wow. They're leaving us with kind of a hodge podge. Although what we have right now with iCloud is kind of hodge podgy on Snow Leopard. Bookmarks and Notes can only sync using the cable. Surprising that they couldn't come up with a way to sync Contacts and Address Book for Snow Leopard users, and Calendars. And I think you're saying that syncing Mail between Macs and iOS devices is going away. This is really bad. If I understand you correctly, you won't be able to sync email between her 2006 MacBook Pro, her iPad and and her iPhone. So we have to buy a new Mac in order to do that? There's going to be millions of very ticked off Mac owners. Will we still be able to Sync everything between the Mac and iOS devices using the cable and iTunes?

Thanks again..I'll check out your 3rd party alternatives link.

• Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9 (69,590 points)

pgoodwin wrote:

If I understand you correctly, you won't be able to sync email between her 2006 MacBook Pro, her iPad and and her iPhone

That's not correct. You can set the MacBook Pro to access iCloud mail perfectly well - details here:

Entering iCloud email settings manually in Snow Leopard or Leopard

The iPad and iPhone will access it automatically if you have iOS5. If you have iOS4 then you may be able to set the mail app up there with the server settings but I can't advise on that.

Will we still be able to Sync everything between the Mac and iOS devices using the cable and iTunes?

Yes.

Thanks Roger. OK good about the mail.

When I say it's currently hodge podgy, I mean that having to have iTunes running on the Mac to keep the iOS devices synced with each other is kind of hokey. But actually all 3 machines sync up pretty nicely via wireless and iTunes, so hopefully we won't be any worse off than we are right now after the migration. We're only partially in iCloud, in the fog.

I probably shouldn't have said "automatically" convert, but when switching to iCloud, the username (can) remains intact.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

• Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (40,680 points)

pgoodwin wrote:

My wife’s 2006 MBP Core Duo didn’t make the cut for Lion, but is going strong with Snow Leopard. In fact, about 6 months ago I put a new 2.5 inch 500 GB 7200 rpm drive in it that replaced the 80 GB 5400 rpm drive, plus added another 1/2 GB of RAM, and it’s running faster than it ever has. The battery is pretty much worn out, but she has an iPad so the MBP never moves.

My concern is what the effect of Apple doing away with MobileMe this summer is going to do. She syncs her iPhone, iPad and MBP mail and calendars thru MobileMe. I don’t know if she’s hosed after that or not.

What if anything can one do to sync Mail, Calendars etc after MobileMe goes away?

OS 10.6.8 is the end of the line for that machine and you need 10.7 for full iCloud functionality, which this MBP can't run. Is there any Apple literature that discusses these issues?

Install Soho Organizer, iCloud contacts and calendars will be available, Mail will handle iCloud Mail, XMarks will handle bookmarks, iTunes and iTunes match will work, photostream and other bits may not work.

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

• MrMinnMac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Roger, the hack you pointed me to should be hammered out in gold and placed on a pedestal - thank you thank you thank you!  It works and has saved me from dumping way too much money into replacing still-very-fine machines running Snow Leopard.  Bravo.