Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Mac G5 wont start or reinstall

Hi,

First let me tell that I have googled for a solution before posting for almost 3 days and I have tried everything but now I am desperate and could us your help.

I purchased old Power Mac from eBay and when I started it it started normally but as soon it started it showed me warning me that I need to restart it. This occurred few times and than it stopped booting at all.

Now here are the symptoms:

- When i booted it it chimes

- It shows gray boot screen starting with Apple logo but after a while it turns into circle with slash.

- Sometimes it starts making horrible fan noise like it will explode

Here is what I tried to do:

- Reseting PRAM

- Reseting SMU

- Removing RAM and rearranging it, using only 2 RAM in different slots (to make sure its not defective RAM or defective slot)

- Removing battery an waiting

- Booting from OS X Tiger and Leopard install DVDs (when I try to boot from DVD it happens the same thing with Apple logo and slash circle)

- Booting from TechTool Deluxe live DVD 6.0.1 (he does not recognize the DVD when I insert it)

- Removing one or both HDs and trying to boot from DVD.

Finally I downloaded Ubuntu LIve CD and it started from it. It all seam to work. No problem at all. RAM, graphic card all seam fine. From Ubuntu I deleted everything on my hard disc hopping this will help (well I didn't delete everything because it shows two partitions on HD first one very small one and than the big one. I managed to delete the big one.)

Since Ubuntu is working I presume this is not a hardware issue (or if it is than its probably something with the hard discs or?).

When I start in Verbatim mode it says: cannot find root device.

Can anybody help me please?

PowerMac

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 11:24 PM

11 replies

Feb 18, 2012 12:46 AM in response to BDAqua

If you ask if I have original restore discs from the Power Mac the answer is unfortunately no. I do have original Retail OS X Tiger and OS X Leopard discs. When I try to reinstall the system with Tiger he recognises the disc but if I select it as boot he goes gray Apple screen and slash/circle again. With Leopard he just keeps ejecting the disc out (maybe the disc is damaged or smth).

Feb 18, 2012 10:37 AM in response to apl693

OK, we need more info about your Mac. Do you know how much RAM it has in it?

If you don't know the model, find the Serial# & use it on one of these sites, but don't post the Serial# here...

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

How to find the serial number of your Apple hardware product...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1349

Feb 18, 2012 10:57 AM in response to BDAqua

First of all: thank you all for trying to help!

@Texas Mac Man: I am reading trough links you posted. The problem is that it shows the same icon even if I try to start it from the install DVD.

Re RAM i tried all possible combinations and if it were RAM it would make problems with Ubuntu live which it doesnt.

@BDAqua: The model is Powermac G5 2004. 2x 2.0 GhZ. It has 2 x 160 GB hard drives and 6 x 1GB Ram (which I reduced to two for testing purposes) And NVIDIA 5200.

Feb 19, 2012 5:06 AM in response to BDAqua

Unfortunately yesterday while I was tying to boot it from DVD I accidentally tripped on the cable and powered it off. After I turned it on there is nothing on the monitor whatsoever so I presume my graphic card is dead. Thank you all for your help. I will just sell it for parts on eBay and buy myself a newer computer.

Thanks again!

Power Mac G5 wont start or reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.