Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No autotools in xcode 4.3?

After I purged Xcode 4.2 and installed Xcode 4.3 from App Store, I can not find autoconf/automake from anywhere in the system (neither /Applications/Xcode.app nor /usr). Does Apple no longer support those toolchains? or it is just a bug in this release?

Thank you so much.

Xcode 4.3-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 11:22 PM

5 replies

Feb 20, 2012 6:11 PM in response to eddyxu

Hmmm.

I finally had a chance to install all the optional bits of Xcode and go looking through the unix-y bits of the OS and it appears that the autotools have also disappeared from my system.

Fancy that.

Well, on further exploration, it appears that gcc, g++, et al are symlinks to llvm-gcc tools in /usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/bin, so if I had to guess, I'd say this is part of the dropping of GCC support in favour of the llvm-gcc front end. But it could be a bug, I suppose, since other GNU tools like bison and yacc are still there...

So I guess the short answer is, I don't know either. Sorry.

Apr 17, 2012 9:00 AM in response to Thruth

Autotools are one of the handful of projects that have adopted the GNU GPLv3 license. This license is incompatible with any commercial distribution. It is designed so that only companies like Google or Facebook can use it to provide services to users and users to advertisers. Because Apple's business model is providing goods to users, it can't use any GPLv3 software. If you will notice, even when Apple did ship tools like GCC, Samba, Bash, and autoconf, they were always really old - from 2007. No coincidentally, 2007 is when GPLv3 was released.

You can always download the source to these tools and install them yourself. Personally, I'm really opposed to this idea of "free software" for everyone except programmers.

No autotools in xcode 4.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.