Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Bug: how to fix the problem that canges voulmes names after a reconnection o external HDD or a NAS ?

I have an external usb udd that I rename it "HDD" (not much fantasy sorry) When I connect it to my MBP files are this path: /Volumes/HDD/ When I recconnect it a second time files path could be different like: /Volumes/HDD 1/ Why ? This cause me some problem. How to fix it ??? May be I'll thanks you... ;-)

I know, pointing out an OSX bug on a OSX forum 99% is equal to a ban.

I hope.

I hope that put the head into sands is not a solotion for everyones...

I also whant to know if the volume's name and "sorting picturs by creation date - bug" in preview will be solved in osx 10.8 ... thanks ...

macbook pro 2,2, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 5:39 AM

2 replies

Feb 18, 2012 5:44 PM in response to aid85

aid85 wrote:

When I connect it to my MBP files are this path: /Volumes/HDD/ When I recconnect it a second time files path could be different like: /Volumes/HDD 1/ Why ?

For some reason, your Mac thinks a volume named "HDD" is still attached. Why? I don't know know, you have to look into it. How did you remove it the first time?

This cause me some problem. How to fix it ???

What's the problem? If it's a script, then it may be a bad idea to use that name in it; the disk identifier is a better option, you can link them in various ways, eg, df.

I know, pointing out an OSX bug on a OSX forum 99% is equal to a ban.

Grow up.

Feb 19, 2012 4:33 AM in response to aid85

It sounds like you may be disconnecting the HDD volume without ejecting it properly. As fane says, the Finder thinks that volume is still there and gives the (it thinks) new volume a new name to avoid conflicts.

If that's what you are doing, be aware that disconnecting a drive without first ejecting it can cause corruption to the drive's file system and ultimately render it unuseable.

OSX Bug: how to fix the problem that canges voulmes names after a reconnection o external HDD or a NAS ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.