Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you run Server Assistant on Lion?

Hi, all,

I am trying to migrate from a 10.5.8 server to a new Mini running Lion Server and I'm unable to complete the migration as described in the documentation. There have been other threads covering this issue but I can't find a clear answer.

To explain further: I have installed Lion and the Server app from the app store but deferred the migration from the previous server. I am now trying the migration and on page 26 of this document:

http://images.apple.com/macosx/server/docs/Upgrading_and_Migrating_v10.7.pdf

it states:

1. 3 If this is a new server with Lion Server already installed, proceed to Server Assistant

instructions in step 8.

2. 4 On the server you are going to install Lion Server on, open the App Store, find Mac OS X Lion, and install it.

7 Click Install.

During installation, progress information appears.

After the installation is complete, the computer restarts and Server Assistant opens so you can perform initial setup.

8 Move through the assistant’s panes, following the onscreen instructions.

In the Transfer Existing Mac Server pane, select “Transfer the information from an existing Mac server” and click Continue.

However, there seems to be no way to launch anything called 'Server Assistant'. I've looked around inside Server.app and Server Admin.app and can't find anything. The documentation for Snow Leopard server says it is in System > Library > Core services but it isn't there on Lion.

It is tempting to try using the Migration Assistant but there are dark warnings in the Snow Leopard documentation about this resulting in data loss.

Anyone out there know a solution to this one? Any help gratefully received.

Gordon.

iPad, iOS5

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 8:23 AM

4 replies

Nov 7, 2012 7:48 AM in response to MR WGN

The only thing I'd add to this to make it super duper clear: You need not only to have downloaded Server.app from the App Store, but also to have launched it and gone through the initial setup. Only then will the "rm /var/db/.ServerSetupDone" step work.

But after that this worked beautifully to force the Lon Server Setup process which allowed me to migrate my server. If only the migration was successfull.

Thanks, MR WGN!

How do you run Server Assistant on Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.