Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot find any Grand Theft Auto game on the Mac App store.

I can't find any GTA games on the Mac App store. This includes GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas. I was looking at them just a few days ago and was planning to buy one, but now they're gone. I've tried multiple ways to get to them in the App Store, but each way doesn't work. GTA III and Chinatown Wars are still in the iOS App Store, and I noticed they are both on sale for $0.99. Could this have anything to do with it? Or does anyone know why they're not there? Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 8:42 AM

13 replies

Feb 18, 2012 11:51 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

wrong.

The game(s) exist(ed) for Mac. I have purchased GTA:San Andreas (as you can see in this screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9812294/GTASAMAS.png) for Mac OS X, and installed it on 2 computers so far.

However, problems with GTA:SA started today (18 February 2012)

First, there was a GTA:SA 1.0.1 update, which I tried to install. The App Store kept telling me I needed to log into the correct iTunes Store account to install the update (which I was!).

After a quick google, I found out that deleting the app, and then re-installing it should let me update it, which I then did (note: I only deleted the Application, not any other files it might've saved elsewhere). The installation was successful, and the game works;

Later that day, I felt curious about what the update was about, and wanted to check the app page in the store. When clicking on the "link" in my purchases tab, it tells me "Your request could not be completed". If I search for it, they don't show up anymore.

So there really IS something that has changed. I find it odd that it was so shortly after a recent update.

Carolyn Samit wrote:

It appears GTA is not available at the Mac App Store, however, you are correct, it is available for iOS based devices from the iTunes store.

In other words, the app is only written for devices such as iPhones, iPads, and the iPod touch 4.3 or later, not the Mac OS X.

Feb 18, 2012 11:46 AM in response to sneezingtrees

No, sneezingtrees is right. The GTA games were available previously on the Mac App Store, recently for around $9.99 each. I too noticed that the iPod/iPad version had dropped in price today and wanted to see if the same discount had been applied to the Mac version--since I'd been anticipating purchasing it for sometime--only to find no trace of them on the Mac App Store. What gives?

Feb 18, 2012 12:46 PM in response to dtravis7

it might just be something temporary, maybe even a bug.

Like I mentionned in my previous post, there seems to have been an update to at least GTA:SA, I don't know about the other games since I don't own them. Maybe the apps had a problem?

What I can tell you is:

1. I was able to install the update (and thus the application) on my laptop. However, I don't know whether the apps were already gone from the app store or not at the time I was downloading it.

2. I tried installing the app on my iMac 2 minutes ago and it seems to work (download started fine, but I didn't let it download the 4 GB).

So apparently, you can still download the game if you've purchased it before.

Feb 18, 2012 12:57 PM in response to dtravis7

If you have a backup of your mac (Time Machine for example), you should try this:

1. put the application GTA:SA in the trash, and empty it (warning: don't delete any other files related to the application, just the app)

2. try re-installing it from the Mac App Store

this worked for me...

if it doesn't, I don't know why I was able to download it...

if it doesn't work, simply enter time machine (or other way you backup your mac) and restore the GTA:SA app to it's original location (or you could also do this even if the download works, since it'll be faster than download 4GB)

User uploaded file

as you can see in my screenshot, I have the 1.0.1 update. What would be interesting to know is whether if you download the app now, whether it'll be the previous 1.0.0 version, or if it is the new version...

Feb 25, 2012 2:21 PM in response to sneezingtrees

got this mail from Rockstar support 🙂 games will be back apparently.

Hello,

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Unfortunately, due to a technical issue, the GTA Trilogy games are currently unavailable for direct download at the Mac App Store. I assure you that these games were not intentionally taken down, and should be back up shortly.

We are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible, and appreciate your patience as we work to fix it. Hopefully they will be back up soon.

If there is anything else that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Brad L.

Feb 26, 2012 2:56 AM in response to sneezingtrees

hey, i noticed it to. i play san andreas all the time (i grew up playing it ;p) and i still know the whole map but the game is buggy on mac i played it on ps2 and windows and this game is just a buggy version but still loads of fun 😝 does anyone who's got the 1.0.1 version knows what has been fixed? because theres 1 bug i cant stand i try to get progress with that chick from the police but i can't because at the end of a date the game crashes and stuff so i hope i can download the update soon ;p

I cannot find any Grand Theft Auto game on the Mac App store.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.