Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote Desktop Clients

Having Problem in using ARD to copy files once I connect to the remote computer. I can run applications on the remote from my home machine but can not copy files. I get a message when trying the remote client is not active. Even though I would think if I can connect to machine the client should be active. How do I get the remote to be active so that the copy functions works.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Michael

Imac 27, Macbook Pro 13,Imac 24, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 10:18 AM

7 replies

Feb 19, 2012 4:59 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Hi Antonio

I did as you indicated but still have the same problem. When you slected the copy feature and add a file to the "Item copy list" in the box at the bottom of the screen has the comptuer name and in the status area it says Screen sharing available. When you select the copy buuton a message appears says "The task will fail" this task is not support.

Thanks for the reply

Feb 19, 2012 8:57 AM in response to Michael29

Michael,

What happens after a reboot of the remote computer? I have seen this on occassion in my enviroment and a reboot usually clears it up.

You can alternatly use the kickstart command to give the ARDAgent.app a kick. (excuse the pun).

Apple has a knowledge base article at, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2370, describing kickstart.

$ sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/k ickstart -restart -agent

I would give this a try locallay using terminal on the remote machine or via SSH if you are remote. If you send this down as a Send Unix Command you may totally loose control of the machine if ARDAgent doesn't come back.

As a side note, I have also seen this happen on older machines of mine, usually when the version of ARD client is old and doesn't match the admin machine.

Gary

Feb 24, 2012 9:39 PM in response to Michael29

do you only have the issue offsite? (on site it works)

if it happens on and off site.

Is the firewall enabled on the client? if it's on, have you tried disable the firewall?

Is the computer set to run reporting? if so, when is it set to run? have you tried changing the reporting time to run to a couple of minutes from now? (when your on the local network) after letting the report run, do you still have the issue?

Feb 25, 2012 4:59 AM in response to TeenTitan

I only have one Mac machine at home and one at work. I can not get the file copy to work either way. On my home machiine in the copy box you see that the work machine say "Screen Sharing Available". When I try to copy file from work to home I see in the copy box that my at home is "off Line" even though I can run applications either way. I have tried turning the firewall off and on and it makes no difference. I do not have the machines set to run reports.

One way I have beeen able to get around this is the use of Logmein services. The file copy works using their service but it would be nice if it would work using remoted desktop

Feb 25, 2012 12:19 PM in response to Michael29

I use logmein, just because I got tired of configuring my home firewall, and because my ISP changes my IP address all the time. Plus I kept encountering places that blocked VNC traffic.

I hope at home internet connection only has one firewall/router. What ports did you open for ARD? Did you open and configure ports: 3031 (TCP/UDP) , 3283 (TCP/UPD), 5900 (TCP/UDP), 5988 (TCP) and 22 (TCP), to forward to your target home computer?

On page 164 of Apple Remote Desktop Administrator’s Guide, list port 22 (TCP) as Encrypted file transfer, observe, and control (via SSH tunnel).

Remote Desktop Clients

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.