Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari continues to log out of various websites with no explanation

I am running Safari 5.1.2 on OSX.6.8 and for months Safari will all of a sudden log me out of any site I am logged into -- this is true for everything from gmail, twitter, facebook, quickbooks online, banking sites and so on. It all happens at the same time and without notice. I often lose emails as gmail will log out in the middle of composing a note. I use Quickbooks-Online and the same will happen - I will be in the middle of generating statements, invoices, etc... and I will be logged out in the middle of working, losing work.

This has nothing to do with cookie-based time limits on some sites -- the log out happens at exactly the same time across all sites. I am convinced that this is a Safari-based issue. It's driving me nuts! Any thoughts welcome.

thanks,

damian

iMac Intel 2.4 GHz (Aluminum), Mac OS X (10.4.10), 2 Gb RAM

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 2:04 PM

3 replies

Feb 18, 2012 2:40 PM in response to Damian Fagan

Damian...

Do you have Parental Controls setup by chance?

Might be your ISP doing this ... use OpenDNS

Use OpenDNS for better speed, more security, it's free, and no more re directs.

Open System Preferences / Preferences then select the Network tab. Click the Advanced tab then click the DNS tab.

Click +

Enter these numbers exactly as you see them here.

Click +

Then click OK and restart your Mac.

More about OpenDNS here.

Topic : Manually provided DNS server addresses are higher priority than DHCP's

Feb 18, 2012 4:49 PM in response to Damian Fagan

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins and log in as Guest. For instructions, launch the System Preferences application, select Help from the menu bar, and enter “Set up a guest account” (without the quotes) in the search box.

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

As Guest, test. Same problem(s)?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

• Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  • Press the power button.
  • Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  • Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including wireless networking on some Macs.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem(s)?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode.) Post the results of steps 1 and 2.

Jul 2, 2012 8:39 AM in response to Damian Fagan

I too have this problem with Safari. Without notice, almost like a crash, I will be simultaneously logged out of:

• WordPress Admin
  • Multiple Gmail accounts
  • Facebook
  • And any other site to which I am logged in securely

For me, this never happens when Private Browsing is enabled.

I have abandoned using Safari because this has become such an annoyance. I would like to be informed when there is a known solution, so I'm adding my post to this thread, and reinforcing the OP's problem, since I've had the exact same issue.

Safari continues to log out of various websites with no explanation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.