Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G4 wont startup after untangling cable mess

Hey all,

I had a go at untangling a vast jungle of a cable mess last night by my dad's old iMac G4. He went to turn it on this evening only to find that it wouldn't turn on, we checked the fuse in the plug as well as swap it out for another and still no luck. When plugging the power cable into the socket on the back of the computer we occasionally get the 'spark' sound you get when plugging things in, so its clear there is power going to the socket. Is it possible the power switch on the back has gone? And if so how many banks am i going to need to rob to fund a repair?

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 4:27 PM

2 replies

Feb 18, 2012 6:54 PM in response to Aaron Cottrell

If you had to unplug the power cable as part of the detangle process, I suspect you have a dead internal battery, or "PRAM" battery. That battery maintains settings while the computer is off wall power but, given a life of 3-5 yeras, one that's dead when the computer is unplugged can makethe computer forget a lot of stuff, like where its startup disk is located.

The battery in the iMac G4 is not considered a user-serviceable part as it requires a level of disassembly not normally undertaken by amateurs. If you feel you have the expereince or inclination, google "G4 iMac takeapart" for instructions on how to get to the innards. Understand that failure to follow the reassembly instructions accurately can result in overheating that kills the computer.

You can often get around the need to replace the PRAM battery in a situation like yours:

• Start with the OPTION key pressed (if you are using an Apple keyboard). Keep holding until you see icons onscreen indicating startup discs. You may have to wait several minutes before being able to select a disk. However, once you do, the computer should start properly as long as you leave it on wall power.
  • Start from a system install/restore CD or DVD, or from any Mac-bootable optical disk. Once the computer is running, use System Preferences > Startup Disk to select your internal hard drive.
  • Cold-start the computer while holding command + option+ p + r and keep holding that key combo until you hear three startup chimes. That resets the PRAM and hopefully will point the computer to it proper startup volume.

Feb 19, 2012 2:39 PM in response to Allan Jones

thanks for the suggestion Allan.

dead PRAM battery is a possibility, however since it wont turn on at all, i cant start it up using the other options. Holding down different keys at startup doesn't make any difference. Its as if there is no power cable connected to the thing. you hold down the power button and nothing happens. If it would turn on i could try the 'get around the PRAM' suggstions...

iMac G4 wont startup after untangling cable mess

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.