Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clean the inside of an iMac G3?

I recently obtained a Summer 2001 iMac G3, and this moring I was looking inside through the translucent plastic. I was dismayed to see that there is quite a bit of dust and other debris that I would like to get out of there. There is even some stuff in the computer's speakers. I searched the web for info on how I might go about cleaning it, but I found very little information. I would think that I would need to take off the translucent plastic on top and maybe the white plastic on the bottom. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 10:27 AM

2 replies

Feb 19, 2012 11:56 PM in response to John and Vicky Lawson

This Macworld article has good instructions for removal of the bottom housing on the slot-loading iMacs. The upper transparent/colored plastic housing has snap catches, which (due to age) are less flexible than when new. If you attempt to separate the plastics, you run the risk of damaging the edges and breaking the catches - which will ruin the tight fit. Additionally, if you access the upper section, you must be careful to avoid the high-voltage section and the hazards associated with incidental contact.

How to clean the inside of an iMac G3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.