Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery not charging - should I reset PMU?

Hi,

I have a six-year-old PowerBook G4 which hasn't been used since I upgraded to a new Mac last September. I turned the PowerBook on today for the first time in five months, and found that the battery is stuck on 0% and not charging. The computer works fine on AC power, but the battery doesn't charge. The light on the power cord is green, but when I disconnect from AC power the laptop dies.

From reading other discussions here it looks like I may need to reset the PMU. I've found instructions here (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431). I can't quite tell from this or other websites, though: would resetting the PMU delete any of my data? Any other reasons why this is or isn't a smart move?

Thanks,

Adam

PS - in case this helps, here's a transcript of the power section of my System Profiler:

Battery Information:

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh): 0

Charging: No

Full charge capacity (mAh): 3809

Health Information:

Cycle count: 0

Condition: Good

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 9071

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5

Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No

Wake On AC Change: No

Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake On LAN: Yes

Wake On Modem Ring: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 1

Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No

Wake On AC Change: No

Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake On Modem Ring: No

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

Clamshell Closed: No

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

AC Charger (Watts): 65

Connected: Yes

Charging: No

powerbook g4, Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 2:11 PM

A PMU reset won't hurt anything, so it's worth a try, as the PMU can affect charging. A reset does not affect the hard drive nor the data therein.

However, I'm a little concerned that something is seriously amiss inside the battery itself. Your SP report shows zero cycles. Even a new battery shows one, so that a concerning observation.

Try this: turn off the computer; remove the battery; leave the computer powered off but on wall power from 24-48 hours. There is an internal backup battery that when dead or weak, can cause strange issues. It's technically rechargeable but, with the main battery in place, little power gets to the backup. Removing the main battery lets the internal see if it can pick up enough charge to overcome some of the problems

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2012 2:11 PM in response to aschreib

A PMU reset won't hurt anything, so it's worth a try, as the PMU can affect charging. A reset does not affect the hard drive nor the data therein.

However, I'm a little concerned that something is seriously amiss inside the battery itself. Your SP report shows zero cycles. Even a new battery shows one, so that a concerning observation.

Try this: turn off the computer; remove the battery; leave the computer powered off but on wall power from 24-48 hours. There is an internal backup battery that when dead or weak, can cause strange issues. It's technically rechargeable but, with the main battery in place, little power gets to the backup. Removing the main battery lets the internal see if it can pick up enough charge to overcome some of the problems

Feb 20, 2012 10:26 AM in response to Allan Jones

Unfortunately, resetting the PMU doesn't seem to have changed anything. I'm going to try your plan B, but just being extra-paranoid: is it totally safe to leave the laptop plugged in with the battery out? Since the battery is integral to the part of the back panel that pops out for battery removal, the battery space will be open with the battery contacts exposed. Like I said, probably just being paranoid, but is there any risk of electric shock, etc. from touching these contacts while the AC power is plugged in?

Thanks again,

Adam

Feb 20, 2012 11:17 AM in response to aschreib

The current at those contacts is pretty low; computer components normally don't like high voltages or currents. We're not talking hauling the computer around while the battery is out---it should be OK simply sitting while the power is connected. If you are worried about the contacts, put a non-conductive mat (like a plastic placemat) under the computer and set it somewhere away from curious children, curious child-like adults, or pets.

Is this the original battery that came with the computer? If not, is it Apple-branded. If the original, it could be dead of old age or lack of use. The latter causes more premature battery deaths than you can imagine.

Again, reporting zero cycles is a big red flag for me, indicating that the battery may well be beyond the aid we mere mortals can provide.

Feb 20, 2012 12:01 PM in response to aschreib

It's the original battery.

Might think about a new one, then.

I rarely used it on battery alone

That phrase has been part of many posts about prematurely dead batteries both in this forum and the MacBook Pro forums.

There are some battery scams out there on auction sites so I would tread carefully. I trust Other World Computing--have done scads of business with them over the last 15 years--and I found a very nice batter yfoe a G3 PowerBook fomr Global Batteries. Apple no longer sells PowerBook batteries.

The battery type to oder depends on models and screen size; post if you need some help nailing down your exact model.

Feb 22, 2012 6:53 PM in response to Allan Jones

Unfortunately looks like no dice. I removed the battery and kept AC power plugged in for 48+ hours, but the power cord light is still green and I'm still at 0% and not charging. I did another PMU reset for good measure, but no change. Battery information is unchanged from my original post except that voltage is now 5970 mV (down from 9071 - should I be concerned about that?).

Assuming the battery is completely dead, would I be courting any kind of disaster by just not replacing it? AC power works fine, and I plan on using this computer only for an hour or so every few weeks at most, and never traveling with it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Feb 23, 2012 8:10 AM in response to aschreib

Assuming the battery is completely dead, would I be courting any kind of disaster by just not replacing it?

Not if you approach it intelligently, and that's obviously no problem for you. At end-of-life, some batteries may swell and/or leak. As long as you check for that possibility regularly (min once a week--twice better), I doubt you'll have a problem. Were you to be traveling and leaving the computer at home, I would remove the battery before departing--you know how things around the house tend to go south when no one is at home.

Intel Mac notebooks clock back the processor significantly when used on A/C with the battery removed. I've never seen this mentioned as a strategy used in the PowerBooks; even if you eventually have to remove the battery due to damage, you shouldn't have a problem with performance as long as you have the compuuer running.

Battery information is unchanged from my original post except that voltage is now 5970 mV (down from 9071 - should I be concerned about that?).

It's beyond hope anyway--I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Feb 23, 2012 9:02 AM in response to aschreib

Here's some similar posts from the ifixit.com site http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/Device/PowerBook+G4+Aluminum+15%22+1.67+GHz?search =battery+charge

When you boot up from the AC adapter (and not connected to the internet), do you get a message about the Date/Time not correct. If so the internal PRAM (rechargeable) battery has discharged or is no longer good (will also need to be replaced). The ifixit.com site has the instructions.

When you store or plan to not use a laptop for a period of time, make sure the battery is charged to 40-50%, and not 100%.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Battery not charging - should I reset PMU?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.