Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime screen recording is stuck on finishing. Please help?

QuickTime Issue:

I was making a screen recording for a video tutorial and when I finished, it stuck itself on "finishing." I haven't been able to force quit it in the dock or in Activity Monitor. I cannot shut my computer off or restart it. I have a 21.5' iMac running Mac OS X Lion version 10.7.3. My processor is 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5. I have 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory.

Here is a screenshot.

User uploaded file

Thanks in advance,

girlnerd409

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 3:46 PM

There is an easy fix to this problem. If it works, uninstall QuickTIme so the problem doesn't arise again.

1. Simply go to your Launchpad or your Applications folder and find Terminal.
  2. Type in the following command top -u and press Enter.
  3. Search for the QuickTime process id (PID). Note it.
  4. Next, type in sudo kill [PID] and press Enter.
  5. Email me at jamiemayday@gmail.com if you have more questions.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2012 3:46 PM in response to girlnerd409

There is an easy fix to this problem. If it works, uninstall QuickTIme so the problem doesn't arise again.

1. Simply go to your Launchpad or your Applications folder and find Terminal.
  2. Type in the following command top -u and press Enter.
  3. Search for the QuickTime process id (PID). Note it.
  4. Next, type in sudo kill [PID] and press Enter.
  5. Email me at jamiemayday@gmail.com if you have more questions.

Sep 4, 2012 12:08 PM in response to girlnerd409

I made a Quicktime recording from a video on my screen, it was about 20 minutes and I clicked on 'Stop recording' and as always I got this window...

User uploaded file

This window usually appears for a few seconds and then the recorded video opens up for viewing or saving.....for this particular recoding I have had this window up for over a day 😟 and nothing more has happened....it is stuck here!

When I look at the destination folder I see 0KB as the size of the recording telling me that the video is not yet saved....I dont want to force quit Quicktime as I will lose the recording then, is there any way I can SAVE my recording as I cannot record this event again ...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Sep 4, 2012 4:17 PM in response to viknyc

viknyc wrote:

I dont want to force quit Quicktime as I will lose the recording then, is there any way I can SAVE my recording as I cannot record this event again ...

There's a slim chance the temporary files all still available. Navigate to

/private/var/folders

and then poke around in the subfolders for a very large .mov file (with an appropriate date) in a subsubfolder called "-Tmp-/TemporaryItems". Drag that large file to the Desktop. Try to play it in QuickTime--and, if QT fails, VLC.

QT normally deletes these temp files immediately after saving the finished file, but with the process stuck, the temp files may still exist.

Good luck.

Sep 4, 2012 6:44 PM in response to mns579

Thanks, I brushed up my old knowledge of unix and used Terminal to go over to the folders...

Unfortunately did not see any .mov file

a number of files like these:

drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Aug 28 11:11 zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++

drwxr-xr-x 3 _lp _lp 102 Jul 9 09:36 zzzivhrRnAmviuee++++4U+++-c

drwxr-xr-x 4 _mdnsresponder _mdnsresponder 136 Aug 28 10:44 zzzivhrRnAmviuee++++EE+++22

drwxr-xr-x 4 _spotlight _spotlight 136 Aug 28 10:58 zzzivhrRnAmviuee++++KE+++3Y

drwxr-xr-x 3 _securityagent _securityagent 102 Jan 29 2011 zzzivhrRnAmviuee++++L++++3k

drwxr-xr-x 4 _atsserver _atsserver 136 Aug 28 10:44 zzzivhrRnAmviuee++++ME+++42

drwxr-xr-x 3 Guest _guest 102 Dec 22 2011 zzzivhrRnAmviuee++++mE+++AY

drwxr-xr-x 3 _coreaudiod _coreaudiod 102 Aug 28 10:44 zzzivhrRnAmviuee++++mU+++Ac

drwxr-xr-x 5 _locationd _locationd 170 Sep 3 22:21 zzzivhrRnAmviuee++++nE+++Ao

drwxr-xr-x 4 _cvmsroot _cvms 136 Aug 28 10:44 zzzivhrRnAmviuee++++p++++BE

drwxr-xr-x 3 _usbmuxd _usbmuxd 102 Aug 28 10:44 zzzivhrRnAmviuee++++pE+++BI

drwxr-xr-x 4 nobody nobody 136 Aug 28 10:45 zzzivhrRnAmviueezzzzzjzzzzs

These are in a folder below the one you mentioned called 'zz'

😟 ...this issue has happened to me a few times whenever I have tried to save a large recording ( over 20 minutes)...I wish Apple would fix this problem....most times the file would eventually save but this time it does not seem so 😟 😟

Thank you for your help!.....maybe someone from apple can shed some more light on this..

V.

QuickTime screen recording is stuck on finishing. Please help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.