Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Books I create with iBooks Author are crashing

I've downloaded pretty much all of the preview versions of the textbooks created with iBooks Author, and most of the time they all play just fine.

The books I'm creating with iBooks Author are not playing fine, they all crash. They crash on an iPad 1 and on an iPad 2. They crash even if I kill all running processes first and reboot the iPad(s). I can't show off all this great work I've done because the books continue to crash.

I have added html5 widgets to these crashing books, and the widgets were created using Hype from Tumult (a wicked cool Mac app for creating html5 animations when you don't know any html5 at all). I'm not sure if these html5 widgets are related, just thought I'd mention it.

Allison Sheridan

NosillaCast Mac Podcast

Podfeet dot com

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.2), MacBook Pro 2011

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 3:37 PM

7 replies

Feb 19, 2012 4:28 PM in response to K T

Interesting. I was thinking of copying and pasting to a new book. Won't be too hideous of a job since what I've created is proof of concept anyway.

I read in another thread that if you even THINK about touching the caption or title in an embedded widget you're doomed. I have, of course, edited, turned off and changed the captions and titles.

Allison Sheridan

NosillaCast Mac Podcast

Podfeet dot com

Feb 20, 2012 5:03 PM in response to David Bourne

All images were jpgs.

I think I may have found the problem, recording here just in case.

Early on (when my books weren't crashing) I would carefully click on widget and pull down to say Gallery to insert a widget. Same thing with videos. But one day I realized you can just shift select a pile of images and drag them into iBooks Author and they instantly turn into a Gallery.

Today I recreated each chapter in my iBook but was very careful to always insert the widget first and then drop in the images/video/etc.

So far so good with the new version!

Books I create with iBooks Author are crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.