6 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2012 6:46 PM by MartinR
dominickch Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hey everyone, I just finished editing a video with final cut express 4.0.1. The thing is that I used to shot my film a canon 60 d (1920 x1080/ 30fps) and the quality of the video when I'm exporting it is really cheap. Which setting can I use to export it? I already know I should have did a conversion with my clips right at the beginning but now, my video is all edited and I don't want to redo everything. Thank you!

• 1. Re: FINAL CUT EXPRESS/CANON 60D problem!
    David Harbsmeier Level 7 Level 7 (29,650 points)

>Which setting can I use to export it?

Export it for what?  For DVD?  For web?  For file delivery?  Each desitnation will have it's own method of exporting.

-DH

• 2. Re: FINAL CUT EXPRESS/CANON 60D problem!
    dominickch Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi, export it as a file like mov. or avi. dvstream. Thks

• 3. Re: FINAL CUT EXPRESS/CANON 60D problem!
    David Harbsmeier Level 7 Level 7 (29,650 points)

Both .mov and .avi file extensions indicate a container for video/audio ... the actual codec used to create the audio and video could be any of dozens.  And a .dv stream is the DV coded used natively by iMovie.

Not knowing what you intent is only means that you won't receive accurate answers to your question. 

-DH

• 4. Re: FINAL CUT EXPRESS/CANON 60D problem!
    KingdomSurfer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi David,

I am experiencing similar issues to dominickch. All of my files from my 60D are in .mov format. I have MPEG Streamclip. Do I need to convert before begining to edit? I will be exporting my edit for my DVD reel.

Thank you for you time!

-FP

• 5. Re: FINAL CUT EXPRESS/CANON 60D problem!
    Bengt Wärleby Level 6 Level 6 (19,160 points)

Hi

An Easy way to find out what's in a .mov or .avi or .xxx container is to open it in QuickTime-Player and here open Inspector [ cmd+I ] then read

Video format/Codec: nnnnnnnnnnn

What does it read (all of it)

Yours Bengt W

• 6. Re: FINAL CUT EXPRESS/CANON 60D problem!
    MartinR Level 6 Level 6 (14,610 points)

Yes, you need to convert the video before importing it into FCE for editing.

FCE is designed to edit QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec and QuickTime/Apple DV video.  Anything else needs to be converted to one of these formats/codecs before working with it in FCE.

The 60D records video as H.264 1080p video in a .mov file (QuickTime file).  You can use MPEG Streamclip or Clipwrap to convert it to QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec/1080i.  You need to do this before importing the video into FCE.

(The 60D can also record video as H.264 720p .mov in which case you still need to convert it to QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec 720p before importing it into FCE.)