Previous 1 2 Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2014 3:41 PM by DGMTR
catservants Level 1 (0 points)

I have iTunes libraries (different) on two users on my computer, both synced to iCloud.  I have my iPhone synced to iCloud.  I want to delete a number of songs from ONE of the computer iTunes libraries WITHOUT deleting the songs from iCloud, because I still want them on my phone and other computer user.  How can I do this?  I thought when I selected "Delete" that it would give me an option "Do you want to also delete from iCloud?" (because Apple's website says this is the dialog box that will come up), but I had no such option.  It only said, "This will delete it from the cloud also."

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 27" 2011 model
  • Chris CA Level 9 (78,695 points)

Do you have iTunes Match?

If not, just delete the song. They are not in iCloud.

Note that iTunes purchases will always be available for redownload.

• catservants Level 1 (0 points)

I have iTunes Match.

And none of the songs I want to delete are purchased from iTunes.

As long as you have iTunes Match ($25 per year), the songs will be available for redownload.

But, as I said, I don't want to delete them from the other computer user or the iPhone, but when I try to delete them off my iTunes list, the warning message says it will delete them from iCloud.

• Ferretbite Level 4 (1,580 points)

Are you sure it's not asking whether you want to delete from iCloud? When I delete songs on my computer I always get that dialog window asking if I want to remove it too.

Okay, let me try to explain this a little more.  I am a language teacher, and I have about 30 CDs of language training (each CD has about 30-50 tracks). I have a business user and a personal user on my computer.  I put the language training tracks on the business user iTunes library, and use the iPhone in my classroom, so I want the business user and the iPhone connected via iCloud.  On my personal user, I have about 20,000 songs, and I want those to be in iCloud so that I can access them on my iPhone if I want to, but don't have to carry them around on my iPhone all the time -- it will take up too much space.  However, the problem I have now is that my personal user is cluttered with those hundreds of language training tracks, and I don't want them there.  I have never downloaded them to the personal user, so they're just listed there, but they're annoying to be mixed in with my music.  So I want to delete them off the list in my personal user, but I DON'T want to delete them from iCloud because I want my business user and iPhone to sync.

When I try to delete the language tracks from the list on my personal user, I get this warning message:  "Are you sure you want to delete the selected song from iCloud?  This will delete the song from all of your iTunes Match devices."  How can I avoid deleting the songs from ALL my devices?  I only want to delete it from this one library.

• troybk Level 1 (0 points)

This is a very good question - and one which I also have.  Can I delete all of the songs from my iMac and still keep them in the iCloud?  That way I can free up a lot of space on the iMac.

• Henry Perkins Level 1 (65 points)

Also looking for this answer.

catservants wrote:

When I try to delete the language tracks from the list on my personal user, I get this warning message:  "Are you sure you want to delete the selected song from iCloud?  This will delete the song from all of your iTunes Match devices."  How can I avoid deleting the songs from ALL my devices?  I only want to delete it from this one library.

If it shows a cloud icon, it is not on your computer. It is in iCloud.

If you select to delete it, it will delete it from iCloud.

When using iTunes on yoru computer, if you do not want to show items in iCloud then turn off iCloud on your computer.

• Ferretbite Level 4 (1,580 points)

Yes, you can. It's not really recommended unless you have another backup on an external hard drive or dvd, but you absolutely can delete songs from your computer only, while keeping them on iCloud.

• DGMTR Level 1 (0 points)

How? Please.

DGMTR wrote:

How? Please.

Select it in iTunes then presss Delete.

• DGMTR Level 1 (0 points)

When I hit delete it asks if I want to delete from iCloud. I managed to get CD's I downloaded for my friend in both of our lists. She wants to get rid of mine and I want to get rid of hers on our computers but we each want to be able to access our own from iCloud.

Previous 1 2 Next