Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine keeps excluding external drives

When I go to System Preferences > Time Machine > Options, select external drives (which Time Machine has automatically excluded), and press "Save", Time Machine gleefully adds them back for exclusion as soon as I select "Options" again.

I can remove from exclusion any drives that are internally connected, but all my USB disks cannot be removed from Time Machine's exclude list.

I've read the Pondini.org FAQ (no help) and have tried deleting and reformatting the backup drive to no avail.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

2.93 GHz Quad-Core Xeon; dual 2.5 GHz G5; MBA 128GB SSD; iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 11:11 PM

13 replies

Feb 26, 2013 7:29 PM in response to mistersquid

So almost a year has gone by and no one has an answer for this? I have ticked the "I have this question too" box, but in the interests of raising awareness, I have done exactly the same things as the original poster, I cant get it to be included by Time Machine. When I hit save, then let the backup run through, I can then enter Time Machine and see that it hasnt been included in the backup because the drive has no history.

I'm using a 2011 Macbook Air, and therefore, I aint got much disk space! So I need this solution to be available to me in order to carry on using this machine as my main machine. I store my music library on an external USB drive, and thats what I would like to have backed up.

UPDATE: my USB 128GB Hard Drive is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatted.

Jan 28, 2014 9:06 AM in response to mistersquid

I just found another conversation in 2008 about this same problem in the Apple Support Community.

My external disk being automatically excluded from Time Machine backups was originally formatted on a PC so the 2008 solution may be appropriate.

-------------------------------------

shekel

I got it to work. You need to ensure your external HDD are re-formatted for Mac, details are on the Lacie website and you do this in Disk Utilities.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Feb 16, 2016 4:16 AM in response to simonhkchan

I have the exact same problem but i am running 10.11.1 on macbook pro with hd drive formatted as extended journal. the drive has worked before. i am using several different drives and it seems like the problem is slowly getting worse. i have tried reformatting drive and changing name and it just ends up excluding drive from time machine backups. P[lease help. 10.10 did not solve anything.

Time Machine keeps excluding external drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.