Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get sound from dual link dvi cable? OS X Lion

Hi, I might this might be a noobie question. But I just bought a Dual Link DVI to HDMI cable. From what I know I will be able to get sound out of of this set up. However, I cannot fingure out how to get sound via HDMI.

There is no such option when I went to sound preference, unline when I was using a minidisplay port to HDMI adapter where I could hear sound on my HDTV via HDMI.

If I could get sound out of dual link dvi to hdmi cable, what do I need to do in order to get the sound working via HDMI instead of Analog Line Out.

I was frustrated because the minidisplay port/adapter does not work for bootcamp, so I went out and bought dual link dvi to hdmi cable instead. Graphic is as great as HDMI, but I could not figure out how to get the sound via hdmi while using this setup.

If anyong can provide any tips or solutions or even a negative definite answer I would be grateful. thank you in advance.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 12 Cores, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, Dual 5770

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 10:31 PM

11 replies

Feb 19, 2012 10:54 PM in response to Appledine

You cannot get sound through a DVI connection. DVI does not pass audio.

I have a 2010 mac pro also. One mini-displayport is tied up for my 27" display. The second is tied up with a mini-displayport to VGA adapter (considered as an active adapter) to my VGA monitor. So that left me also having to use the DVI for my TV. And because it had to be an "active" adapter for three monitors on my 5870 (same requirement as a 5770) I used the following,

DVI & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI® Converter

You can use that too. What it allows you to do it connect the S/PDIF (TOSLINK optical) output from your mac pro to the converter along with the DVI. The output from the converter is HDMI which you connect to your TV. You then have a single connection to your TV with HDMI video and digital sound.

Feb 19, 2012 11:25 PM in response to Appledine

Once you have your TV connection working I assume you want to be able to disconnect it when you don't need the TV (unless you always want it as a second monitor). In that case I do not recommend you connect and disconnect the various cables. That's hard on the connectors over time.

You can actually do the connect/disconnect in with a utility specifically for handling multiple monitor configurations. It's called SwitchResX. You can configure it to enable and disable the TV with a menu or hot key. Since SwitchResX also allows execution of applescripts when you change configurations you can do additional operations SwitchResX doesn't provide. For example you can write a applescript to switch the audio form whatever you are using when not using the TV to the optical out when switching to the TV and vice versa (assuming you use the optical out as I suggested in my previous post).

If you don't use SwitchResX not only do you have to manually manipulate wired connections, you also have to change the Display and Sound system preferences "manually".

With SwitchResX you only have to hit a hot key or a menu item and you are done. I won't lie and say it is straight forward to figure out how to configure SwitchResX. But it only has to be done once. It's really not that hard once you understand what's needed and how to set the SwitchResX configurations accordingly.

Feb 20, 2012 2:26 AM in response to X423424X

But I read from the Mac Pro manual saying that the dual link DVI has ability to transport sound and video at the same time just like the minidisplay port, which is why it's called a dual link DVI port.

When I use my mini display port with a HDMI adapter, there is a sound output option for HDMI. However, using dual link DVI to hdmi cable doesn't.

I might have read it wrong on the mac pro manual. I wonder why they call it dual link DVI. The cable I bought also says the cable has the capability to transfer video and audio data at the same time, which makes me wonder evern more why as if there is no sound.

Anyway, I was unable to see anything on my HDTV using minidisplay port with a HDMI adapter, so I have to resort to DVI to HDMI cable. I will check the manual again to confirm.

I only have 1 HDTV atm and I don't use it as a TV, much rather using it as a monitor. It's a shame that my TV only has a optical out and does not have a optical in. I guess I will stick with the DVI-HDMI cable for now since I need windows to do some stuff.

It was so disappointed when I installed windows and the screen is underscanned while using the minidisplay port and HDMI adapter, I couldn't figure out how to fix it, and after the screen goes to sleep I could no longer get any display on the screen again until I replaced the minidisplay port cable with a DVI cable.

I then went out and bought a Dual Link DVI to HDMI cable (no adapter needed). I get the 1080p graphic but there is no sound. I read on some forum that I would need some sort of adpater for the DVI-HDMI cable in order to get sound. But they didn't mention which adapter specifically.

I guess I will have to stick to the Analog Autio Out until I have money to upgrade my speaker system. As for SwitchResX, I don't think I will need it atm as I am using my second monitor for a PC. (I am poor don't judge me).

I kinda regret getting a mac pro lol. It's so friggin expensive and my brother bought a PC much better spec than mine (beside the CPU) for much cheaper price. I could get 3 x his PC with the money I spent on Mac Pro. Anyway whats done is done.

When I was installing windows, I was trying to install the official catalyst driver for the 5770s and the driver for audio is actually included in the 5770s. But I can't use it with a minidisplay port as it has an underscan on the screen and I cannot get any display again after the computer goes to sleep with the minidisplay port. If thats the only port with audio out and I can't use bootcamp with it. I dont see any point of using it anymore.

Feb 20, 2012 2:42 AM in response to Appledine

But I read from the Mac Pro manual saying that the dual link DVI has ability to transport sound and video at the same time just like the minidisplay port, which is why it's called a dual link DVI port.

When I use my mini display port with a HDMI adapter, there is a sound output option for HDMI. However, using dual link DVI to hdmi cable doesn't.

You read wrong. Displayport can pass audio but DVI cannot.

I might have read it wrong on the mac pro manual. I wonder why they call it dual link DVI. The cable I bought also says the cable has the capability to transfer video and audio data at the same time, which makes me wonder evern more why as if there is no sound.

To understand single link vs. dual link DVI read the following:

All About DVI

Feb 20, 2012 3:10 AM in response to Appledine

I believe those boxes are "all over the place". When I was doing searching for this kind of stuff originally when setting up my system I think I found the same box from many distributors. The only difference was they each slap a different decal on the top.😉

The one I got was from monoprice.com (follow link where I reference the converter above). It's my favorite place for getting adapters and cables. But I suggest you google,

DVI & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter

Follow the link I provide here to do the search. Hopefully you can find one that's easier (closer) for you to order.

Feb 21, 2012 12:11 PM in response to Appledine

You read wrong. A Dual-Link DVI connection has nothing to do with audio. DVI does not pass audio, period, as you've been told. Dual-link, as the name implies, doubles the number of signal lines so the system can support a screen with a resoution above 1920 x 1200, the limit for single-link DVI. Using a DVI to HDMI adapter will not change matters; the DVI output just flat does not carry audio signals. I don't know what your cable information said; perhaps you're confusing a mention of an analog signal, which would apply to VGA, with being audio.

If I remember correctly, there is, or was, an adapter that takes the audio output from the audio jack and combines that in the adapter with the DVI signal to output both to HDMI, but I can't find that now so it may have been discontinued.

Regards.

How to get sound from dual link dvi cable? OS X Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.