Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove Norton Antivirus *after* I have installed Lion?

The Norton uninstaller is a PPC native app and Lion won't run it.

Thanks.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 6:08 AM

17 replies

Feb 20, 2012 6:44 AM in response to markdavies

You should run the removal applicaiton that came with your installation. Read this from the Norton web site..https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?product=No rton+for+Mac+Products&version=current&lg=english&ct=united+states&pvid=f-mac&doc id=v64924250_EndUserProfile_en_us/

Norton AV 12 for Lion is available online.

If you want an AV program compatible with Lion then look at Intego Virus Barrier 6.

Feb 20, 2012 6:52 AM in response to Russa

Thanks for the reply but this doesn't help me.

The link is bad or sends me to the Windows solution page.

Also, I don't have serials for this since the antivirus was installed on a personal machine (MacBook) by a school in order to operate in their environment.

There has go to be a way to pull the right files out and just delete this.

Feb 20, 2012 7:20 AM in response to thomas_r.

I'm actually not 100% sure what version.

Regardless, Step 2 on that page asks for the NAV install disc, which I don't have.

I had the link to the NAV uninstaller and was prepared to do that. Unfortunately, I did the Lion upgrade first and didn't realize that the PPC native unintaller wouldn't work with Lion.

I'm thinking that there has got to be a workaround. Just a list of files I can delete manually.

Thanks, though.

Feb 20, 2012 7:27 AM in response to markdavies

Actually, I just took another look at that link, and it looks like it's for Mac OS 9, so way out of date. Try this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103489

Ultimately, most of the experts here stay far, far away from Norton, so we're just going to be doing the same thing you could do: Google something like "manually remove norton Mac" and try some of the results.

Feb 20, 2012 7:42 AM in response to markdavies

If someone posts a direct link to a Mac OS installer package for the particular version of Norton that's at issue, I'll take a look at it. Otherwise, as a last resort you'll have to back up all data at least twice, then erase the boot volume and do a clean reinstallation. When you reboot, you'll be offered various options for setting up from a backup or an existing startup volume. Choose to restore only user data and settings, not applications or other files. Reinstall the software you want manually.

Feb 20, 2012 9:00 AM in response to markdavies

As long as it is too late for its uninstaller, try a 3rd party uninstaller, e.g. AppZapper or Uninstaller etc. Search macupdate.com for more. I purchased AppZapper on the occasion of a MacHeist promotion, if my memory is not wrong, and am entirely satisfied with it. Of course, I do not know whether it cleanly remove your antivirus.

I do not ask why you have been keeping it for such a long time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.