9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2012 3:31 PM by Destructiva
Destructiva Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi there!

Latelly I've noticed that Mail is not catching all the SPAM, do you know what to do in this regard?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 17-inch, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8 GB
  • thomas_r. Level 7 Level 7 (29,980 points)

No spam filter is perfect.  Spam will slip past all of them, as spammers use new techniques to get past the filters.  Just mark the new spam as junk in Mail, and it will eventually learn to identify it.  You could also try another spam filter, like SpamSieve.

• Michael Black Level 6 Level 6 (18,070 points)

If there is something common to the SPAM (eg. same sender or same domain, same key words, some common phrase or terms in the body, something you can identify as common in the mails) just make a rule to immediately mark those emails as read and then dump them to trash.

• Destructiva Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks! Yes I already do what you've proposed, I even turned off the download of images and tried SpamSieve (which didn't worked at all).

But it looks like I'm losing the battle. What's funny is that I've noticed that everytime I search something in google, I start getting spam about it, so I sign out of google and you tube too.

Hopefully somebody knows a better way to handle spam.

• thomas_r. Level 7 Level 7 (29,980 points)

tried SpamSieve (which didn't worked at all).

I think you must not have used it correctly, because SpamSieve is a very well-regarded program that has been around for a long time.

What's funny is that I've noticed that everytime I search something in google, I start getting spam about it, so I sign out of google and you tube too.

That is definitely not normal.  I've never gotten spam about anything I searched on Google.  Of course, if you submit personal information to a site, regardless of how you find it, you may get spam from that company.  You've got to carefully protect your e-mail address these days, only submitting it to companies you trust.  If you need to submit an e-mail address to a company that you don't trust yet, use a throwaway e-mail address of some kind.

• hexonxonx Level 4 Level 4 (2,455 points)

I was getting 4-5 spam emails a day. I blocked two of them im my OSX mail app. Turns out that those emails  were only from two differant addesses. Every day two new spam emails would arrive STILL from the same email address domain. Turns out the spammer was only changing the @XXX.com part of the email address and leaving the first part the same, "hello123" so all I did was make a rule blocking hello123 and haven't gotten spam in two days now.

When you get spam, take a look at the address it is from and maybe you too can spot an easy way to block them.

4-5 a day!!!  haha well how about an average of 500? with 4 to 5 I could even give myself the luxury of reply to all of them 

• Lanny Level 5 Level 5 (5,455 points)

You should also consider another email service provider. Some do a better job than others in weeding out the spam. I know that in comparison to my .mac and Comcast accounts, my Yahoo account has much more SPAM.

• Michael Black Level 6 Level 6 (18,070 points)

Agreed.  My primary email is with my hosting company as I use my own domain name for most of my email.  They use a barricuda networks spam filter, and have user editable black and white lists for allowed and disallowed addresses, domains, IPs or IP ranges.  All told, very little SPAM makes it all the way through to my email client.

GMails filtering also seems to be pretty good.

I had enough of this madness and went to the Reset option, I was trying to avoid this, becasue I thought I would lose all the Junk Mail Training, which I did.

But the problem seem to be fixed, now Mail filters most of the spam.  but I have to put an eye on the Junk folder, since a couple of good email ends up there too.