Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I edit a distribution list

If I have a "group" in Address book, how do I edit "which" email is the address to use for each user in that group? Back in Snow Leopard, there was a discussion article that said iCloud broke the ability to edit a distribution list, but that it would likely be fixed in Lion.

Does anybody know how to do this in Lion? No matter what I do, that option is greyed-out in my Edit menu.

Thanks!

Steve

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 7:28 AM

8 replies

May 26, 2012 1:58 AM in response to parkerpress

I have what I suppose is a related issue. I can access the Edit Distribution List menu item, but changes don't stick.

I've set up several smart groups in my Address Book. Some of the contacts in those groups have multiple e-mail addresses so I to the Edit menu, select "Edit Distribution List...", and choose the address that should be used (click on the correct address to make it bold). However, those changes do not stick — when I use the group or look at the "Edit Distribution List..." again, the unselected addresses are still used.

"On My Mac" is the default in Address Book preferences. I haven't, yet, switched to iCloud (my iPhone is a 3G and can't use iOS 5.x) but do sync addresses to MobileMe.

I must be missing some key step. This same thing happened under Snow Leopard and is still around in 10.7.3. What might I be doing incorrectly? As others have said, this seems to be a major and persistent bug.

May 26, 2012 2:01 AM in response to allenkenya

I just found what I think is the answer to my problem. According to the information given when you click the question mark icon on the "Edit Distribution List" window, "You can’t choose Smart Groups." Technically, you can choose a Smart Group and it appears that you are able to select which address to us. However, what Apple seems to mean is that any changes you make to a Smart Group don't work.

Still a serious bug!! This is not a feature.

How do I edit a distribution list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.