Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a direct ethernet connection to my access point?

I created an access point from a router. My question is if I can get a faster connection to devices near to the access point with the direct connection or will a direct connection not work with an access point?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 8:26 AM

5 replies

Feb 20, 2012 8:58 AM in response to Shootist007

I'm referring to my network and connecting to the Internet. I have a router/modem and an extra router that I set up as an access point. I hooked up a 50ft ethernet cable to the access point to put on another side of the house to increase my wireless range. I'm wondering if the router I set up as an access point can also still be used to directly connect devices to the Internet via an ethernet cable or since I have it set up as an access point it is only giving off a wireless signal?

Feb 20, 2012 9:04 AM in response to Kraptain93

Yes it can. If you set it up correctly it has the DHCP server turned off and has a different IP address then the main router, like main beiing 192.168.1.1 and the one you use as a WAP is 192.168.1.2, and you haven't used the WAN/Internet port on the second router. All you have to do is connec a device to one of the other LAN ports on the second router. It will then get an IP address from the DHCP server in the main router and the main routers IP addres as its Default Gateway and you'll be on the net.

If you have setup the second router as a ROUTER, IE used the WAN/Internet port, that can cause problems with double NAT and will block LAN/Network sharing from devices connected to the main router whether wired or wireless and the devices connected to the second router whether wired or wireless.

Can I use a direct ethernet connection to my access point?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.