Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Other" System Preferences Greyed Out (Trying to disable some)

Good day,

Due to issues with users modifying certain settings on their MacBook Pro's I am restricting access to the "Users & Groups" and the "Sharing" System Preferences panes in OS X Lion. I am doing this by using Workgroup Manager on Lion Server. The issue I am running in to is that anything in the "Other" system preferences pane is now greyed out on all managed devices. This is posing an issue for our developers who are unable to access the MySQL pane. Has any one run into / found a work around for this issue?

This is also posible an issue for Mac Home Sync as users are now unable to access their Home Sync preferences.

Thanks,

Matt

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 9:33 AM

2 replies

Feb 12, 2013 6:19 PM in response to brennanma

Enabling System Preference Panes requires getting the CFBundleIdentifer for the PrefPane and adding it into the array.

For example, for the FlashPlayer plug-in it will be something like this:

<string>com.adobe.flashplayerpreferences</string>

Regarding iCloud, you need to be sure if you added it back in that you entered the exact Bundle Identifier string. You can get that easily at the command line using the following:

defaults read /System/Library/PreferencePanes/iCloudPref.prefPane/Contents/Info CFBundleIdentifier

On my Mac that returns "com.apple.preferences.icloud"

Do the same for any 3rd party Pref Panes, but of course use the correct path (usually /Library/PreferencePanes/)

Once you have the BundleIdentifier you can add that string to the WorkGroup Manager array.

"Other" System Preferences Greyed Out (Trying to disable some)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.