Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

relocating library files and location defautls

Installed a new 120g SSD inmy MP and with a limited storage size. i was tryign to figure out in OS X LION how to move all my data that is not OS required and put it on a secondray drive in the system and still use the OS X icons and file structure and serches liek "pictures' documents" and so on.

any help woudl be great.

is this as simple as moveing the library files and if so does anyone know where they are so i can change that info and save it on a second storage drive thats internal.

set up being - 120 for OS and 2tb for everything else, another 2tb for Itunes ( its almost full too) and 2tb back up of OS and time machine,

thanks for al the help

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 10gb , os x on -120g SSD & 6tb

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 10:54 AM

Do not touch:

System

Library

Applications. and the hidden unix files including paging/swap

Move :

Users

Here are some recipes:

JapaMac's blog: Make Room for performance -- Moving the Home Folder

http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-move-the-home-folder-in-os-x-and-why/

6 replies

Feb 20, 2012 11:29 AM in response to fatguylittlecoat

Those techniques work great in any version of Mac OS X. The names in boxes change a little from version to version. Before 10.5, you have to do more stuff manually. 10.7 works great.

EDIT: the guys complaining about it not working in 10.7 typed the name of the Users folder into Accounts (including the drive name), then went in later and changed the name of the Hard drive holding those accounts, but did not go back and fix the names in Accounts.

N.B.: Be sure you like the name of the second Drive before you do that typing!

Feb 20, 2012 11:41 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank makes me feelbetter about that. Yeah when formating jsut name it what you want... when will people learn to slow down and do things with thought. cheers to the help. cant wait to get home and try.

i also need to add trimm suport to the SSD dont know why it didn't boot with it on install but thats not hard.

after this is finding a better video card for my old beast. any recomendations? for a 1,1 mac pro.

Feb 20, 2012 11:49 AM in response to fatguylittlecoat

Best bet is the Apple/ATI 5770. requires 10.6.4 or later for the drivers, but works in all models of Mac Pro. On older units with PCIe 1.1 slots, it will not work at quite its rated speed, but is faster than most others and will do OpenCL as well.

It requires one Aux power cord, which may be in your Mac already. If you buy the upgrade kit from Apple, i believe an Aux power cord comes in the box. Apple does not tend to retro test new additions, so they sell this as for the 2009 and later. Let me assure you that users experience is that it works with all model of Mac Pro.

The ATI model that may be available cheaper does not have Apple Firmware unless it says it does. It will not work under Mac OS X. There are also "flashed" versions of PC cards -- these do not put up anything until Mac OS X is compoletely loaded.

Feb 20, 2012 12:10 PM in response to fatguylittlecoat

OWC has on their blog why you should not try to enable and use TRIM, and maybe realize just what the controller and firmware on the drive does. The next revision of SATA 3.1 standard, TRIM type function will be part of NCQ (native command queueing).

TRIM is also not possible on arrays which many PC mothergboard users use.

If you want better SSD support, I'd look at www.softraid.com which does and has a lot of other features, useful for non-arrays also.

relocating library files and location defautls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.