Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my Roland D-50 work on MainStage 2

I plugged my Roland D-50 into my macbook pro as a midi device and when I play it on Mainstage 2 I encounter several problems:

1. My keyboard will play notes but will cut off immediately

2. Even after I map my sustain pedal in, I can never hold a note

3. Mainstage recognizes my keyboard and recieves information when I press buttons but won't learn the buttons to any functions

I have no idea what to do or how to fix these problems. I am a complete noob to Mainstage and midi so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

MainStage, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 12:49 PM

3 replies

Feb 21, 2012 1:39 AM in response to Synthesizeme

Hi

I recall that there can be an issue with some (Roland) keyboards & Mainstage regarding 'All Notes Off' Messages (MIDI CC123).

Check in the MIDI activity display to see if the D50 is sending these messages.

If yes, create a 'dummy' object in Layout mode, manually assign it to MIDI CC123 on the correct channel and choose 'Do Not Pass Through'. This 'dummy' will then block these incoming messages.

CCT

Feb 22, 2012 3:44 PM in response to Blueberry

Blueberry wrote:

Or you just uncheck the "Send unassigned MIDI to all Channel Strips" in the Assignments & Mappings table.

Hi

Yep... that would work in blocking CC123, but it would also block most other MIDI messages too.

For example, anything that does not have a specific assignment elsewhere in the 'system' will also be blocked instead of the more usual 'pass thru'... CC64, Pitch Bend, CC1 et al would all require assignments to work.

Way quicker to block the incoming 'offending' messages, though I had forgotten about the new "Assignments & Mappings" feature: This way does not require a Screen Object as a 'block'

To block the incoming CC123, create a new assignment in this window, click on the 'Hardware Input' area, set up the appropriate MIDI Port, channel and CC123, then choose "Do not pass thru"

CCT

Why won't my Roland D-50 work on MainStage 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.