Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Noise when scrolling

I have a 3 month old MacBook Pro 13inch, whenever I 2 finger scroll on webpages in chrome or safari there is a scratching sound which comes from the top left of the mac. The sound is similar to processor noise but can be louder. I have noticed that the sound is less amplified when running without the power cable attached, but is still there. I'm taking it along to the genius bar tomorrow to see if they can help. Has anyone else experienced this and what happened?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 1:45 PM

54 replies

Jan 10, 2017 5:35 AM in response to jonathan999y

Issue resolved. I noticed a faint electrical noise when I scrolled or typed. I changed my power source and the noise disappeared. I was using the 2 prong power cord in a study table that had outlets in it (like at a library). Once I plugged the 3 prong directly into the outlet (instead of the outlets on the table) it stopped.

2014 13' MBPr 2.6GHz i5

Original Apple MagSafe

Jun 15, 2017 4:39 AM in response to jonathan999y

I have a MacBookPro 2015 with a PCIe SSD, so I knew it couldn't be disk related.

Disconnecting the apple-supplied mag-safe power supply stops the sound.

Re-connecting the same power adaptor UP THE OTHER WAY also stops the sound!

So I've now put a dot on the side of my power connector that I want "UP" when connected. This rather bizarrely solves my problem.

Feb 20, 2012 4:23 PM in response to jonathan999y

Without hearing the noise it is difficult to be certain what it is - perhaps one day ASC will permit audio uploads.

The noise I hear occasionally while scrolling is a very faint whine. The hard disk makes a faint clicking sound.

The fans on these machines are very quiet, so any other noises they make becomes more noticeable. In any event the Apple Genius will be able to determine if it is something to be concerned about. I doubt it is.

Mar 29, 2012 5:38 PM in response to jonathan999y

You are probably head the DC/DC converters inside the computer. These are power supplies that change one voltage to another. They supply power to the various ships on the motherboard and adjust several frequencies depending on the acutal demand. when you start scrolling demand goes up so the frequency changes. I assert you are hearing the envelope of that change.

I used to hear this on my previous MacBookPro (Core Duo) but I do not on my MBP, 15" purchased in Aug 2011

Sep 5, 2012 12:50 PM in response to jonathan999y

I just googled "macbook pro makes noise when scrolling" and found this post. I have the exact same issue on my same age 13 inch Macbook Pro. Took my powercord out to test it after I read that you noticed a difference between charging/not charging and had the same experience - noise diminishes. So no, you aren't the only one, and there is clearly some sort of flaw here.

Noise when scrolling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.