Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting Mail 5.2 to work with Gmail

I use Mail 5.2 and have 3 accounts.

1-my MobileMe account (me.com) works fine

2-regular Gmail also works fine (myname.gmail.com)

3-I have a personal domain that is hosted in Gmail (myname.mydomain.com) but that does not work no matter what I try.

I have tried Gmail help to no avail.

Can someone tell me the Apple Mail settings I should be using? IMAP, and server name convention, as well as SMTP convention, port and SSL setting, etc.

OR point me to some CURRENT instructions? I find work arounds but all seem to be out of date.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 2:39 PM

32 replies

Feb 21, 2012 6:15 AM in response to carose

I am having this same issue too. It is funny because when i went to the genius bar, they recommended using gmail as a solution to gather all my pop emails on one account. I have three apple devices, Mackbook Pro, iPhone, and iPad. Gmial works great on the iOS devices and it recognizes the account as an IMAP accounts. Unfortunately, Apple Mail 5.2 sees the same account as a POP account. In prevoius versions, you could turn off the automatic configuration and set the account up manually. Now that choice is no longer in Apple Mail 5.2. Can someone please explain how to get a gmail account to be an IMAP account in Apple Mail.

Feb 22, 2012 7:07 AM in response to randrew1a

In a different post, I have found the solution on how to setup a mail account as any type of account (POP, IMAP, etc...) When you add an account, you enter in your Name, email address, and password. If you hold down the OPTION key and hit create, the next screen allows you to select the account type and enter in server settings. I just got done and the account works like a charm.

Mar 16, 2012 2:51 AM in response to carose

I have the same problem. Yesterday OSX updated. Presumably something changed in the mail app. Today, my previously working gmail account no longer works - cannot send. My gmail account is via Google Apps for business, so it uses my own domain name. Looking at the error messages, it looks as if it is only using the prefix of my email address as the user name, whereas with 'google apps for business' gmail, you need to put the whole email address in.

This is pretty annoying - anyone got any suggestions?

Mar 16, 2012 2:18 PM in response to carose

OK - I fixed my own problem. Somehow, presumably when I updated the mail app, the settings were changed for the outgoing server. It can be put back to what it was by going to Preferences -- Accounts -- then clicking on the outgoing server, selecting edit SMTP server list, finding the server settings for the account, clicking on advanced, and then putting the user name to your_user_name@your_domain_name.

I found that the user name had changed to just your_user_name, which meant that it wasn't logging into the server. Once I did this fix it started working again.

mmmm - I feel sorry for grandmothers that have to use email.

Mar 16, 2012 9:56 PM in response to carose

Hi Carose,

From what I read in various forums, if you just start again, and put in your gmail account user name and password, it should set it all up for you. I think my problem was an issue with the update of the mail app going wrong.

Still, if you have a problem sending mail, then the change I made above to the SMTP server advanced settings fixed it for me.

Hope it works for you too!

May 16, 2012 1:35 PM in response to carose

I'm sitll not clear how this solves the problem of multiple Gmail accounts. Whenever I try setting up a different SMTP profile for each account (e.g., smtp.gmail.com:paul@publicculture.org), it doesn't work. Thus, everything ends up running off smtp.gmail.com, which then shows up as sent from whichever username-password combination I'm using for authentication. Any help?

May 16, 2012 1:54 PM in response to pablodifuso

pablodifuso wrote:

I'm sitll not clear how this solves the problem of multiple Gmail accounts. Whenever I try setting up a different SMTP profile for each account (e.g., smtp.gmail.com:paul@publicculture.org), it doesn't work. Thus, everything ends up running off smtp.gmail.com, which then shows up as sent from whichever username-password combination I'm using for authentication. Any help?

Make sure that you check this box (and choosing different names for the smtp is useful in your case)

User uploaded file

Getting Mail 5.2 to work with Gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.