Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how long does disk utility's Repair Disk take?

I have a 2 TB western digital drive that showed as having problems in Disk utility (I was in Disk Utility because the drive was not showing up in Finder). I clicked 'Repair Disk' and very quickly got the message 'Volume Repair Complete' and then on a second line "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.". That was approximately 16 hours ago. It's been running since with no message or indication of progress. Is this normal? I've never used Disk Utility for a repair before so I don't know how long these things take, but that seems to be an excessive amount of time. Can anyone offer any suggestions or info?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 2:58 PM

my 500 gb takes about 15 minutes

10 replies

Feb 20, 2012 3:02 PM in response to gsamagh

I had that happen recently. In my case the disk was fully repaired and OK, and Disk Utility was saying it wasn't.

Try opening another Disk Utility window (command-N) and run it again on the same volume. If it checks out OK, just quit Disk Utility. When the original window tells you that it is still running and asks if you are sure you want to quit, answer yes.

Jul 12, 2013 7:11 AM in response to gsamagh

This seems to be not a one off problem.

I have a WD MyBook 1TB drive, and it suddenly no longer mounts. The WD Smartware unlock app launches fine and lets me unlock it, and the WD Smartware virtual CD mounts. But the drive doesn't mount. Disk Utility says it has to be repaired, so I clicked it, and that seems to just be hanging.

If anyone has any news about this, do let me know. (Or if you know how to get at the data on in any way at all...)

In the meantime I guess I'll try WD support 😕

Jul 27, 2013 6:13 PM in response to gsamagh

I have a 1TB WD My Passport external. I am running 8.4 on my macbook pro. My drive was disconnect improperly due to a power outage. After attempting to recconect the drive I found that the it does not show up in the finder but it does in disk utility. I get this message while trying to repair the disk:

Verify and Repair volume “My Passport”

Checking file system

Volume repair complete.

Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

It's been running for at least 30 minutes and nothing is happening. I've tried shutting down and leaving it sit for a while before even trying the repair disk. I'm starting to believe that Western Disgital is a terrible company since I've found nothing but bad reviews and people having similar issues. My problem is that I just had the scare of life when all my data was seemingly lost when my LaCie drive crashed earlier this week. $418.00 later, all of my data was saved and store on this WD My Passport drive. I've never used this particular brand but and thought, "What the ****".

Ah, just now I got a message saying the disk cannot be repaired and for me to save all my files somewhere else. But... My drive is listed in the finder. I'm am on a mission to save as many back ups as possible.

Thank you for all for your help!

Got to go!

how long does disk utility's Repair Disk take?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.