Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is every thing erased from my iPod??

I just bought this new iPod from the Apple site last December and I've collected a little over 2,500 songs since then. Couple of days ago I was downloading some music and while I was transfering music into my iPod (mind you this is a new MacBook Pro that I got last month) iTunes started lagging and froze. I disconnected the iPod and when I plugged it back in, it was not detected and needed to be restored to its factory settings and EVERYTHING was erased....***** because I only have little over 300 songs on this computer. So I transfered over 300 songs back into my iPod and now this has happened 4 times since then....WHAT IS GOING ON?!!?! Please someone help me....

iPod classic, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 6:28 PM

8 replies

Feb 22, 2012 3:52 AM in response to akidinlimbo

Which version of iTunes are you using?

And what is your iPod firmware number?

Only one of the Mackbook Pro USB ports is iPod Compatible, the rest are using shared resources with other I/O devices like iSight, Bluetooth, Infra-Red, so when you do the iPod Sync, connect it to that High Power USB2.0 port. Unfortunately I can't tell you which one, as there are a few variation of MBP, USB port, you have to figure out which port is good for syncing, and which one always freezes your MBP.

When it freezes on you, disconnect it by doing a iPod Hard Reset, as sometimes, you can't shutdown the MBP, as it freezes, waiting for the USB Host Controller acknowledgement trigger.

Do not disconnect the iPod, if you see the "Do Not disconnect" screen on the iPod, so better do a Hard Reset.

Have a nice day!

Feb 22, 2012 3:14 PM in response to akidinlimbo

Is it my iTunes?? Or my iPod Classic?? What's going on, it keeps happening...

My iTunes is running much slower and then eventually freezes...I hard reset it and everything is erased AGAIN.

When i connect it again this is what I get....

"iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted. You may need to restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes. You may also try disconnecting and reconnecting the iPod."

Feb 22, 2012 5:31 PM in response to akidinlimbo

So your software and firmware are uptodate, the problem would be iTtunes 10.5.3 doesn't handle slow devices like iPod Classic very well, so if the iPod data transfer signal is slow, iTunes may terminate the data transfer and reformat(resrtore) your iPod, to clear any corupted filesystem flags.

As for the USB Ports, you have to try, one at a time, if both are on the left, I think the one nearer to the screen.

Do a Disk Diagnostic on your iPod Hardisk, read this post by tt2,

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3110831?tstart=240

If the Realloc and Pending numbers are high, sent it back to Apple, as you just bought it..

Good Luck!

Why is every thing erased from my iPod??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.