Skip navigation

iOS5 on iPod Touch 2nd Gen

46689 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2014 9:32 PM by minneapolsjay RSS Branched to a new discussion.
1 2 3 Previous Next
codpete Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 21, 2012 12:03 AM

Will it ever happen, or is my iPod Touch 2nd Gen now just a useless hunk of junk that won't work with modern apps, which all seem to need iOS5?

iPod touch, iOS 4.2, I WANT iOS 5
  • the fiend Level 5 Level 5 (6,880 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2012 2:10 AM (in response to codpete)

    I can't see how it could happen, the 2nd generation iPod Touch simply does not have the hardware required to run iOS 5.

     

    As for your suggestion that your iPod is now a "useless hunk of junk that won't work with modern Apps"...

     

    It may not be able to use Apps that require iOS 4.3 or above, but it's far from useless since it will still play all the music, videos, Podcasts you have on there, and still display any photos you Synced with it.

     

    Oh! ...and it will still run any App that requires iOS 4.2.1 or lower. My 2nd gen Touch has 171 Apps running on it - apparently!

     

    Far from useless.

  • AnaMusic Level 9 Level 9 (55,065 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2012 2:12 AM (in response to codpete)

    And...

    codpete wrote:

     

    Will it ever happen, ...

    No.

  • CJMSMAVERICK Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2012 2:46 PM (in response to codpete)

    In response to codpete: I must agree with you I have had my iPod 2nd gen for about 2 years now when I heard about the ios5 that was coming out I became excited because I couldn't wait to have the iMessage and iCloud capability plus many other features that iOS 5 was bring to the table. When the first acticle about ios 5 came out I litteraly watched  you tubes videos about it everyday to see if more news about it was coming out of the factory. When the release date was set for the release I stayed up all night and had my iPod and computer ready. When the update didn't show up I went to YouTube and found that iOS 5 was not for my gen iPod, and I was so frustrated with apple because as soon as that update happened the number of work and play apps dimminished so quickly I lost use for my iPod. As you had put it my iPod was hunk of useless junk. I actually got the corporate address of apple put my iPod and everything that I had bought for it or got with it and sent it to them. I wrote a letter on how frustrated I was, and to this day I own not one apple product. I use a Zune no matter how much I don't like it cause for once I would like a company that would work on all there products ( meaning updating them) instead of sending out a couple of updates and saying its good enough and moving on to update another product. I use that Zune because that company has it where they like it and if there is an update they have everyone update it not just certain models, and plus the fact is that not everyone can walk in whip out a credit card and buy the newest and best things just because it does more.

  • cliftonfromrichmond Level 3 Level 3 (790 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2012 3:12 PM (in response to codpete)

    Guys like you crack me up, really....

     

    I mean c'mon...  Do you really expect Apple or any other company to spend money to support obsolete technology?  Do you think that Ford, GM, or any car makers still have parts for cars made in the 1920's?  Its the same thing with personal electronics with one HUGE exception:  Personal electronics become obsolete much, much faster than cars do.

     

    And what's really sad is that it is obvious to the most casual observer than guys like you don't have the time or the inclination to actually do any research before you whip out the plastic, and its also obvious that because you don't have the tiniest inkling as to how quickly technology changes, you get all bent out of shape when you finally realize that you are behind everyone else.

     

    Oh, and while we are talking about obsolete stuff, I have a 30gig 5th gen iPod Video, a  2nd gen Touch and a 30 gig Zune, all of which I resurrected from the dead.  They all  work fine and not one is currently supported by their manufacturers.

     

    I also have a 32 gig 4th Gen Touch and an iPhone 4.   The 30 gig iPod gets used in my truck, I use the Zune when I ride my Harley Sportster so I can listen to FM radio when I want to, the 32 gig Touch goes with my touring trike 'cause I use a Griffin FM transmitter to stream through the bike's FM stereo, and I use the iPhone for making phone calls..

     

    Now really, isn't technology, even if it is obsolete, just freakin' wonderful?

  • the fiend Level 5 Level 5 (6,880 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2012 1:46 AM (in response to CJMSMAVERICK)

    CJMSMAVERICK wrote:

     

    ... the fact is that not everyone can walk in whip out a credit card and buy the newest and best things just because it does more.

    So, you want everything for free, do you?

     

    Ah, no!

     

    Let me see if I understand you correctly. You "couldn't wait" for, you "became excited" about, and then spent every day watching announcements concerning iMessage and iCloud, but once you discovered that your iPod couldn't use those features, you throw away all your perfectly good and working Apple products and accessories and start using a Zune, "no matter how much (you) don't like it" (the Zune), even though you cannot afford (my interpretation of your comments) to "whip out a credit card and buy the newest ... things"!

     

    You then invest your time admitting this to us.

     

    Frankly, who cares?

  • the fiend Level 5 Level 5 (6,880 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2012 1:51 AM (in response to cliftonfromrichmond)

    cliftonfromrichmond wrote:

     

    Now really, isn't technology, even if it is obsolete, just freakin' wonderful?

    Yup! I still use Minidiscs!

     

    I have however, abandoned cassettes, shellac 78s and the horse-drawn carriage.

  • cliftonfromrichmond Level 3 Level 3 (790 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 25, 2012 1:00 PM (in response to the fiend)

    the fiend wrote:

     

    CJMSMAVERICK wrote:

     

    ... the fact is that not everyone can walk in whip out a credit card and buy the newest and best things just because it does more.

    So, you want everything for free, do you?

     

    Ah, no!

     

    Let me see if I understand you correctly. You "couldn't wait" for, you "became excited" about, and then spent every day watching announcements concerning iMessage and iCloud, but once you discovered that your iPod couldn't use those features, you throw away all your perfectly good and working Apple products and accessories and start using a Zune, "no matter how much (you) don't like it" (the Zune), even though you cannot afford (my interpretation of your comments) to "whip out a credit card and buy the newest ... things"!

     

    You then invest your time admitting this to us.

     

    Frankly, who cares?

    Fiend:

     

    Brother, I like the way you think!

     

    Its a sad commentary on this generation.  They are nothing but a bunch of spoiled, whining, cry babies who need a good spanking and a double dose of reality.

  • Liamavery1983 Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 4, 2012 10:22 PM (in response to codpete)

    I agree.  What about people like me who have an iPod touch 2nd gen and can't afford to upgrade to the newer model?  What are we supposed to do?  watch as the world just passes us by?   I think not!  I say apple needs to update the older stuff too!

  • the fiend Level 5 Level 5 (6,880 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 5, 2012 1:15 AM (in response to Liamavery1983)

    Liamavery1983 wrote:

     

    I agree. 

    And...?

    I believe codepete's comments have been addressed. Is there any sepcific point (of mine) on which you would like to disagree and discuss?

     

     

     

    Liamavery1983 wrote:

    I say apple needs to update the older stuff too!

    Then you obviously don't understand the limitations of technology, do you?

     

    Perhaps you should try telling the App designers that their updates exclude you from using their products. After all, it's the App designer who made the decision to go to an iOS version higher than you can use, not Apple.

     

    Message was edited by: the fiend

  • Tentpole Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 5, 2012 9:57 AM (in response to the fiend)

    Codpete is right, and I disagree with The Fiend, it's not due to "limitations of the technology" but to Apple's need to continually launch "better" products and extract your money, nothing else - and they are very good at that. They do not want to have an obligation to support anything older than 2 or 3 years - besides, their products are so unreliable they have mostly broken by then or (in the case of iPhones) been upgraded as part of astonishingly high priced contracts. Yes products do eventually become obsolete but Apple make sure this happens as fast as possible. Apple's market strategy is all about driving profits, not looking after old customers. Unfortunately that means some will be trampled in the rush for the cash, meaning my still perfectly good iPod Touch on IOS 3.1.3 - which can't even run the latest Ebay app! That's hardly a processor and graphics intensive app is it?. Am I happy about that? No. Can I do anything about it? No.

     

    Devs are driven by the same thing - money versus effort. Just look at this

    http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/iphone-sdk-development/97471-is-it-worth-suppo rting-ios-3-x-still.html

     

    If only I could search for only IOS3 apps I could download them all to iTunes before they disappear forever. Maybe if I keep my Touch working long enough some fanboi will think it's worth more than the newest machine as it's vintage :-) And I can sell it on Ebay.

  • the fiend Level 5 Level 5 (6,880 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 5, 2012 10:13 AM (in response to Tentpole)

    Tentpole wrote:

     

    I disagree with The Fiend, it's not due to "limitations of the technology" but to Apple's need to continually launch "better" products and extract your money, nothing else

    and yet, in the discussion, involving App developers, that you linked to, someone states;

    ... we don't support the iPhone 3G, or the 2nd generation iPod touch. Those devices have much weaker graphics hardware, less memory, and slower processors.

    Isn't that a limitation of technology? (Rhetorical question - yes it is!) Strange, you appear to have missed that part of the discussion.

     

    The same author goes on to say; I would not hesitate to drop support for iOS 3.x. Think about dropping 4.x also.

  • Tentpole Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 5, 2012 10:43 AM (in response to the fiend)

    My main advice (now edited) is to suggest that if you don't grab the apps now, they will soon be gone forever.

     

    We will no doubt have to agree to disagree but Apple and devs will continue to make money only if they can sell something that customers didn't have before, so Apple very deliberately introduce hardware and software that is faster and has more features, and devs can use this to generate more revenue through apps that do more stuff. The not-very-old technology is still very capable but it has a short shelf life for making profits. It is sound advice to drop IOS3 and even IOS4 if the dev wants to cut his costs and make a profit. Yes I linked to the post which mentions "weaker" technology and this demonstrates that the limit is the market strategy, not the technology. This is why they mention the small number of people on IOS3/4. It's not worth the effort.

  • Alkcnf Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 13, 2013 11:49 AM (in response to the fiend)

    More then  once I bought an app and like 3-4 days later is updates and I could no longer use it. SO IS IT FAIR IM OUT THAT MONEY. use and app once or twice and then I can't waste of money. So it's ok for them to rip me off.

    I got a tablet for less then this iPod and I get to play some of the apps I lost on here. What were asking is don't make our iPod useless. I know someone who just bought one that an apple dealer said that she could still get apps for it and ummmm no we can't. So they tried to trick them into buying something they can't use. I bought mine just for the apps so yeah.

     

    All we want is updates and apps we can use. Heck because it's becoming out of date the video downloads are messing up cause that gets updated as well.

     

    <Edited By Host>

  • JackJackBoom Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 13, 2013 11:45 AM (in response to codpete)

    Its even worse whe they do it to your 08 MAcbook so that you cant install Mountain Lion even though you have a 64 bit intel processor. Apple quit me out just because I dont have a full sized trackpad. I even have 4 gigs of ram! Which isnt cheap these days as DDR2 is phasing out of the industry.

1 2 3 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.