Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Portable RAID drives for the field

A question I get asked too often is regarding how I set up the G-RAID as a RAID 1 config not a RAID 0.

APPLE EMPLOYEES have confused a lot of my clients and camerapeople about this! The packaging of the G-RAID MINI says RAID 0 on it, which is a FAST configuration with no data protection. The software/firmware can be configured to make this a RAID 1, giving you two identically mirrored drives and data protection. I use RAID 1.

Be aware that although G-RAID make pretty and sturdy products, they also make one stupid mistake by matching identical drives in each product.

If both drives were made at the same time in the same factory then under the identical read-write conditions, if one get a sticky head or some other disease, then so will the other drive. Replacing one of the drives with a mismatched drive of same size will give you the data protection you need.

I've used G-RAID mini, a wonderful tiny bus powered FW800 drive, for years now and have only had one drive go down after the heads started to stick, leaving my data secure enough on the other drive to complete the shoot and backup back at the studio. (this thing has been in edits, in the field and in the studio for years). The ONLY reason my data was secure was because I replaced the second drive in the RAID with a 3rd party, thus voiding the GRAID warranty but actually making it a better product.

I also had a G-RAID drive go down, taking 5 days to recover documentary footage, which is where we learned this lesson again.

Unrelated: all of our iomega drives (yomega is a professional yoyo company) have worked for half a decade without issue.

Final Cut Studio '09, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Quad 2.66 Xeon. 8Gb Ram, G-RAIDs

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 2:26 AM

There are no replies.

Portable RAID drives for the field

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.