Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter

If I purchase a MacBook Air 11" I want to be able to connect my new LG 23" monitor AND to connect my many LaCie and iOmega FireWire 800 Hard drives. With my MacBook Pro 13" (Mid-2010) I can do both simultaneously.

But with the MacBook Air 11" - there are no FW ports, and only 1 Thunderbolt port. So it seems:

1. I can use the mini-display adapter to go from the MacBook Air 11" Thunderbolt port to the LG Monitor (or??)
  2. In a few months, when the Sonnet Thunderbolt to FW adapter comes out, I can connect my FW800 Hard Drives

(The Allegro™ FW800 Thunderbolt™ Adapter enables users to plug in a FireWire® 800 device, including a bus-powered drive, to any computer with a Thunderbolt port. [Ships Q2, 2012]).

OK BUT: Can I have the external monitor connected AND have the FW800 HD's connected AT THE SAME TIME? I know one can daisychain with Thunderbolt - but how would I do that in this case? 😕

Thanks for any comments, guesses, information or feedback.

Best regards,

Steve Schulte

Tuesday 21 February 2012

MacBook Pro-13, Mac OS X (10.6.8), MacOnly since 1989 (Still run my Mac SE on 6.0.4)

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 8:32 AM

You can daisy-chain, PROVIDED the requisite adapters/devices in the chain support it. Not all Tunderbolt devices support daisy-chaining, therefore must be at the end of any "chain". None of the projected Sonnet products seem to support it either. So, unless that other device you plan to use supports it (the monitor), you are unable to use them simultaneously. I suppose it gives some comfort to Apple on the pricing of their Tunderbolt Display.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2012 8:32 AM in response to Stephen Schulte2

You can daisy-chain, PROVIDED the requisite adapters/devices in the chain support it. Not all Tunderbolt devices support daisy-chaining, therefore must be at the end of any "chain". None of the projected Sonnet products seem to support it either. So, unless that other device you plan to use supports it (the monitor), you are unable to use them simultaneously. I suppose it gives some comfort to Apple on the pricing of their Tunderbolt Display.

Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.