Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install TWO Boot Camp Paritions for Windows on one drive?

Sorry for cross posting:

Recently, my MacBook Pro (mid-2009) was running out of space. I have a 500GB internal drive, with a 120GB boot camp partition. I opted to install a new 480GB SDD in the optical bay, move the Mac OS and files to the SDD and leave the Boot Camp partition on the old HDD. Now I wonder, is it possible to split the HDD into two or even three partitions and have TWO of them run as Boot Camp drives for Windows?

The reason is this: I have a work Windows drive and a development windows drive. I am running Parallels, but with our business systems, and the developmnt aspect, I need to boot both into native Windows if possible. I'd rather NOT use up SDD space for a Windows machine, since it's already smaller (and I like the faster speed on the Mac side anyway).

Any thoughts from the community?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 5:16 AM

5 replies

Feb 21, 2012 5:58 AM in response to Eli Sherer

I would backup or plan for a full reinstall and then it would be easy to have a Windows only drive with 2 or 3 separate Windows partitions.

And if you wanted - and could afford to - a 2nd SSD for Windows would also work.

Installing or booting Windows from USB-DVD is a 50/50, sometimes people manage, but not everyone, sometimes editing the plist in the driver or in Boot Camp Assistant works but never a 100% guarantee.

Format the 500GB drive with Windows DVD.

Restore the Windows system image you made before.

Install add'l versions.

You would do what people not just PCs but Mac Pro workstation where Windows resides on its own drive, no GPT and format with Windows, not Boot Camp Assistant even (but you could tell BCA to treat the drive as FAT, not that it buys you anything).

During install of Windows on 2nd drive you need to unplug the SSD so Windows does not see it and GPT is all. And may as well yes, put optical drive in unless or if USB-DVD gives you trouble.

When you moved Mac OS to SSD, did you format and install Lion? that would be ideal, then use Setup Assistant to import. Insures the SSD has Lion Recovery partition.

Feb 21, 2012 9:56 AM in response to Eli Sherer

Already having C:Win 7 Pro 64bit, on a 2nd internal Mac Pro HD that was allocated to by Bootcamp, I recently installed Win 7 Home 32bit to a 100GB "Shrink" of the C: space using Windows "Disk Managament". Shrink is a mouse on the C: space right click drop-down menu option. You can then format & name the (E:) partition; reboot into Mac Option, selecting, in my case the Win 7 Home 32bit DVD.

With internet disabled after install I ran Bootcamp CD/DVD updates done against original Windows OS then ran previously downloaded 32bit Security Essentials, enabled the internet & did Windows update (~120 items).

When there are multiple Windows OS's, before you see the windows startup graphics, a choice menu is presented.

In my case, when in Lion, the Windows drive is (C:) same as before, but with less space in info view. This means that if I want to get someting from E: to Lion, I have to first copy it to C:

In your case, I think? you have to have to reallocate 500GB drive in Lion bootcamp since it thinks BC space is 120GB.

Then as Hatter says, {I think a) & b) can be done in same session}
a) Format the 500GB drive with Windows DVD.
b) Restore the Windows system image you made before with Windows DVD.

Install add'l versions.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Feb 21, 2012 10:07 AM in response to ReMacs

Nice ot have screen shots.

The Windows boot manager, if you go in and change it the pause can be very short and set that to the default Windows OS.

Then use Windows msconfig if you want to change the default or make the delay longer.

Yes you can shrink, though I would plan to just reformat and have 2-3 partitions and you may even be able to use Mac Startup Disk. The 2-3 partitions will also show on desktop, which doing it by shrink will not.

Can I install TWO Boot Camp Paritions for Windows on one drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.