Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How/can you play a DVD on the iMac g3?

Hi! My Mum and Dad have given me their old iMac g3 and I have no use for it as we have been unable to get the Internet or anything for me to do on it. I really love it and so I am desperately trying to find an excuse to keep it so I thought about using it to play DVDs on, but when I tried I couldn't get it to work! Help! I'm so confused! Thank you!

iMac G3-OTHER

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 8:35 AM

8 replies

Feb 22, 2012 9:10 AM in response to Sandman97

Does this G3 iMac have a slot-loading optical drive or a tray that pops out? If the former, and if it has FireWire ports, you could use an external DVD drive to watch movies. If it has a tray-loading optical drive, the very slow USB 1.1 ports wouldn't be adequate for playback from an external USB-connected drive.

Feb 22, 2012 3:54 PM in response to MGW

Sorry to say Miriam but you are dead wrong ! if the OP does indeed has a slot loading iMac G3 then there were models that came with a DVD drive and so can play DVD movies using the built in DVD player in OSX or OS9.

Models with a DVD drive :

400Mhz DV and DV SE (Oct 99 - July 00)

400/450/500Mhz DV and DV SE ((summer 2000) July 00 - FEb 01)

The early and later 2001 models only had a CD-RW

Custom Mini.

Apr 20, 2012 12:03 AM in response to Sandman97

Hi

I've had no success with DVD Player and using an external drive.I keep getting the message"initialization error- cannot find a valid DVD Player" and then gives a code of numbers.I have been told that if you use a late model firewire 400 case with the firewire port on the iMac G3,the iMac may not recognise it (as in my case).I proved this by borrowing a friends external caddy of Imac G3 vintage and had no problems.Apparently its due to the revised chips in the later drives & caddies not being recognised by earlier machines.So,just because you have a Firewire 400 external device does not mean the iMac G3 will be able to use it.Trial and error,I'm afraid!!

How/can you play a DVD on the iMac g3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.