4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2012 2:14 AM by Luis Sequeira1
bill33 Level 1 (40 points)

I'm working my footage from my SONY HXR-NX5U, AVCHD/.mts files directly imported in to FCPX 10.0.3.

My system is as follows: i7 3.4 Quad 16GB RAM internal 1TB7200.

My clips are either in 60i and most reently in 24p, both 1080.

My question is simple: Would it be better to convert everything, before ingestion, to some format that is more native to FCPX or that FCPX can "fly" with, while not sacraficing quality.

I then export to both internet HD quality and DVD...

Thanks in advance.

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.3), FCPX 10.0.3, iMac i7 3.4, 16GB/2GB
  • Ian R. Brown Level 6 (18,615 points)

Apple recommends that you optimise AVCHD to ProRes 422  for both quality of results and speed of processing.

If you are not doing anything too complex you can get away with AVCHD but the only way to find out what is best for your modus operandi is to test both methods using near identical projects.

• bill33 Level 1 (40 points)

Ian,

Do you mean optimize on import within FCPX or some 3rd party software before I ingest to FCPX?

• Ian R. Brown Level 6 (18,615 points)

I don't know whether it matters.

If you are importing directly from your camera/card it would make sense to let FCP X do it.

• Luis Sequeira1 Level 6 (9,550 points)

Keep in mind that you can always optimize even after you imported your media. Just select your media, ctrl-click and select Transcode... at any time.

Also, if you need more speed, you can edit using proxy media, which is supposedly much faster. Just remember to switch to optimized or original before the final export.