Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Export - Unnecessary compression of unedited images?

As a new user to Aperture, I have just one remaining issue that is bugging me...

I import all of my photos (as JPEGs, not RAW) for each new project into Aperture, and find that I only edit about 50% of the shots. The other 50% remain just as they were captured by the camera.

Now, when it comes time to export my images for uploading to a service like Shutterfly, the most obvious method is to export all images in the project as versions. This ensures that the 50% of photos I edited are exported in edited form. Those 50% of course will suffer some loss in quality from JPEG recompression. (Note that I have the export preset set to 11, as I recall reading somewhere that the 12 setting is unnecessary and doesn't prevent the inevitable recompression that happens with JPEGs anyways.)

This is acceptable for those images that were edited. But it also means that the 50% of images that were not edited also get some unnecessary recompression and quality loss, and for no real reason.

Do most of you just accept this, hoping that the quality loss will be so minimal as to not be noticable? Or have any of you devised workflows where you can export the edited images as versions, and the unedited versions as masters? (Or are you all working in RAW!?)

Thanks to anyone who can offer any feedback!

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 1:00 PM

6 replies

Feb 21, 2012 1:12 PM in response to bsjdmac

Aperture NEVER compresses the Master image. If you make Adjustments, those Adjustments are held in a separate file called a Version. While lots of us prefer to work with RAW files, this is actually one of the best reasons around to use Aperture for JPEG.

You can export either Versions - at any degree of compression you desire, or the Masters, in which case there is no compression at all.

For what it is worth, for most web posting, I create JPEG with a quality of 6 or 7. Based on using the old "Copy for the Web" option that used to exist in Photoshop Elements, that generally produces a near "perfect" copy. This will not work, of course, if you are posting files that are intended to be printed rather than simply viewed on the web.

Aperture is a great program, the Tutorial is well worth the money to help you get all you can out of the program.

Best wishes! 😉

Feb 21, 2012 1:22 PM in response to DiploStrat

Thanks for the quick reply!

But this sort of gets to the heart of my question. When editing only a subset of photos in a project and then exporting them for a service like Shutterfly, the temptation is to select all and export as versions.

This means those files you never edited are getting compressed for no reason.

So it seems you either have to accept that, or find some way to export edited images as versions, and unedited images as masters. From what I can tell, Aperture has no automatic way of doing that.

Feb 21, 2012 2:05 PM in response to bsjdmac

Methinks you are REALLY polishing a brick here. I doubt that anyone is going to notice the difference between a JPEG 12 and a JPEG 10. (And some scholar can tell me at what level compression starts. JPEG compression is a very complex issue.) If you are worried and don't want to keep track of which are Adjusted and which are not (you can tell by the little badge), then export as TIFF. The files will be monsters, however.

This link may be interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG#Compression_ratio_and_artifacts (With the usual caveats about the Wikipedia.)

But again, methinks you miss the point. If you are really worried about absolute quality, the damage was already done in camera when the RAW was first made into a JPEG.

Finally, you are never going to be see the full quality of your image on Shutterfly or any other web host. Which is why most folks specifically make compressed JPEG for faster upload, etc. I go so far as to constrain my posts to about the size of a 23" monitor and most people viewing on the web have a smaller monitor. Similarly, I shift the color profile to sRGB because most people don't have color managed browsers.

So, no, if you REALLY want to be sure that you use the uncompressed file, you will have to export the Master. The nice thing about Aperture is that, unlike Photoshop, you can Adjust your JPEG to your heart's content without ever recompressing it, even by accident.

If you have Photoshop or Elements, then make a copy of a file, and play with the "Save for Web" in split screen. You can try various different compression ratios and determine the point where you can see a difference. HINT: Look for gradient lines in smooth sunset or sunrise skies.

I suspect that, in the end, we will have to agree to differ on how important this is. 😉

Feb 22, 2012 12:08 PM in response to bsjdmac

Do most of you just accept this, hoping that the quality loss will be so minimal as to not be noticable?

<sigh> I think about this every time I export a group of photos that contain unadjusted photos. Yes, I just accept it. That's one of the reasons I use RAW and TIFF as much as possible. To tell you the truth, I can only notice some JPG artifiacts in a minimal number of photos, and I know the kinds of things to look for. In general, I don't worry about it unless they are going to print, in which case I always export TIFF anyway.

Exporting for electronic view, though, you will probably never, ever notice the difference because the displaying program (especially if it is through the web) will always have to resample the picture to display it on your puny, 1 megapixel monitor.

Exporting for printing through a web service, I haven't done in a while. I assume I used TIFFs, but I'm not sure... However, if i did it again, I would just put aside my worries about file size and go for the highest quality JPG I could.

nathan

Feb 22, 2012 1:16 PM in response to bsjdmac

When editing only a subset of photos in a project and then exporting them for a service like Shutterfly, the temptation is to select all and export as versions.

This means those files you never edited are getting compressed for no reason.

You're confusing some stuff here. Your Photos and your Files are not the same thing. Your files are not exported unless you export a Master. Any other time you export what's going out are your Photos. You have a variety of options for the files that will then contain your photos. You can choose lossy or lossless, you can choose different levels of compression. But the files you imported are not being compressed because they're not being exported. You're exporting your photos into new files and you choose the level of compession you prefer.

If you don't want to export to new files at different levels of compression, then export your Masters.

Aperture Export - Unnecessary compression of unedited images?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.