Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't compress a file small enough to burn to a DVD.

I am trying to compress an hour and 19 min. video to be able to import into iDVD and then burn onto a DVD. However, when I compress the video with the "DVD" settings, I get 2 files and cannot put both into iDVD. When I try to export as an MPEG-2 file, I get a file that is to big to put on a DVD. What settings should I be exporting with?

Compressor, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 2:26 PM

9 replies

Feb 22, 2012 4:40 AM in response to Sam Kamnikar

Sam,

Whether IDVD can fit your content on a single layer dvd depends on the length of your video, not its size (not counting the menu and any "extras"). To verify this drag your big file into iDVD and see what happens…you won't have to do an encode to test this. Just open Project in menu bar.

Unfortunately I don't belive that iDVD will recognize chapter markers created in Compressor. What to do? If you If the menu functionality is not a priority, you could create the DVD dirctly from Compressor. If you know someone who has DVD Studio Pro ask them if they'll do you a favor and let you author it on their machine…same deal with Adobe Encore (although I'd check to see whether Encore reads the markers) Finally, you could buy third party software like Toast.

Good luck.

Russ

Can't compress a file small enough to burn to a DVD.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.