Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail sending from wrong Mail.app gmail account

I've got about 5 different gmail accounts in Mail.app -- two are actual gmail accounts and three are @mywebsite.net that I host through Gmail.

Up until recently everything was fine but now it seems all my mail is being sent from one gmail account, regardless of which account I choose to send from.

To the right of the "From:" dropdown menu is another dropdown, but mine is filled with indistinguishable "Gmail" names, maybe there's a way to edit those to make it more clear?

I've just spotted there's a way to set a default "From" email address in the prefs but I'd prefer not to always send from the same address... as in, that's the point of having so many emails in the first place. I've already sent out a bunch of business emails from my personal accout and confused a whole lot of people so it would be great to have this sorted soon.

Thanks,

Connor

Mail (Lion)-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 2:59 PM

17 replies

Feb 23, 2012 5:35 PM in response to connorappleid

I am having the exact same issue as of February 19 on my personal website email that is also routed thru Gmail. VERY frustrating to say the least. Messing up a lot of things with clients who are getting emails from my Gmail junk account address. In Apple Mail It shows the message in the Outbox for both the correct account and for the junk mail account. I plan on calling AppleCare tomorrow to see what I can find out.

Mar 9, 2012 2:09 PM in response to connorappleid

I just went through this with 4 email addresses, and the solution seems to be in how your SMTP servers are setup. Here's how to fix it:

Go into preferences and under the account tab, click on your first account.

In the "Outgoing Mail Server" dropdown near the bottom, click "Edit SMTP server list"

Go through each server in this list and 1) make sure it has a meaningful name and 2) that the correct login info is entered under the advanced tab. Mine were jumbled up, with some being identified as one account but having login info for another.

Once this is straightened out, select each email account (we're done with the SMTP list at this point) and select the server from the dropdown list that you just verified and check "use only this account".

Once all addresses are associated only with their servers, you should be all set. Now you won't have any account accidentally loging in with the wrong credentials just to send. Why this isn't the default functionality is beyond me.

Hope this helps.

-Alan

Apr 11, 2013 7:11 PM in response to yosep.kim

I followed the steps and am getting close to resolving my issues.

So I changed the name of they account to "Gmail - Dave" and made sure my info was in there and set to only use this account.

Then went to the wife's account, named it "Gmail - Steph" and then my account automatically switches to "Gmail - Steph".

I can have both accounts either send from mine or her account, but not the correct different accounts.

Any suggestions?

mail sending from wrong Mail.app gmail account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.